Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering fluid leak

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Hi guys, i am pretty sure that i need a new steering rack. But before i go buying one i want to make sure that thats the problem.
I noticed acouple drops of power steering fluid on the garage floor. Kacked the car up today but i couldnt see where it was comeing from. Replaced the power steering pump around 3 weeks ago.
The steering is abit stiff also.

What you guys think?

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
mate look harder for the leak then let us know.
loose hose, connection, worn seals spilt fluid leaking down from k frame trany leak.
take your pic.

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
i have looked everywere and cant find anything. My best guess is its from one of the hoses, but wouldnt have a clue if its them or not.. there is a allen key bolt on the steering rack. Whats it do? If i unscrew it what would happen? Just curious.

Thanks Terry

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Dude, check the return hose! Try to tighten the hose clamp where it joins onto the metal fitting at the rack. If you cant tighten it anymore then the hose is ancient and has shrunk under the clamp (the clamp wont tighten past a certain point).

Thats where all my fluid was coming from, and your car is 3 years older! :)

If that fails, check ALL the fittings, clean up the rack then watch where it leaks from.

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I know which metal fitting your talking about but how the heck did you get there? I tryed it today but my fingers are to big lol.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
how do the rubber boots look on each end of the rack ?
if you run your finger around all the suspect bits you should find where the leak is... by the wet spot.

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
It has been leaking for quiet some time. When i replaced the power steering pump alot of fluid ran down onto the rack. So the whole thing is pretty much wet, I cleaned it up today and will take another look at soon.

sachin.sachdeva2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 98
Hi
i read on this blof about lucas power steering fluid leak stop.should i mix it with alredy filled steering fluid reservoir ....or how should i do it..
please help
sachi