Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering has me stumped pls help

adamsiddiqui86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hi Guys and Gals,

My name's Adam I drive a vx ss gen 3 and am completely stumped with what could be wrong with the power steering.

So last week my alternator went and my mechanic changed it, when I got the car back he advised that I should top up the power steering with some stop leak as it seemed to have a small leak in it.

I topped it up and after a while it started whining like crazy.

Bled it, went away, then came back again.

Then the reservoir lid started overflowing and kept coming out the top. This went on for about 3 days until I put a new reservoir and hoses on it, not the factory reservoir but an aftermarket one.

First the whining went away and I thought GREAT... told the wife I'm going for a rap round the block and on the way back, still whining like crazy.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH IT. The pump isn't leaking from anywhere neither are the hoses. Does it just have air in it?

spadar

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh2 statesman
hi, did you prime the pump after you put it on, that is before you put the serpentine belt on, turn the pump, by hand about 6 revolutions in reverse/backwards? I remember that the instructions for the WB had that message as part of the instructions(aftermarket). also check the tensioner as you haven't stated how many k's your car has on it but they often have a habit of seizing and thus causing the belt to squeal/whine. if it is the tensioner then suggest replace all the pulleys and the belt-- expensive but cheaper in the long term. love that car. cheers

adamsiddiqui86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
hi, did you prime the pump after you put it on, that is before you put the serpentine belt on, turn the pump, by hand about 6 revolutions in reverse/backwards? I remember that the instructions for the WB had that message as part of the instructions(aftermarket). also check the tensioner as you haven't stated how many k's your car has on it but they often have a habit of seizing and thus causing the belt to squeal/whine. if it is the tensioner then suggest replace all the pulleys and the belt-- expensive but cheaper in the long term. love that car. cheers

I didn't put the new belt on, I saw the mechanic put it on but am positive he didn't prime it. The car has 295k on the clock. Also, randomly it just disappeared today. I'm going to see what it does over the next few days.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
If the fluid appears to be pink foam, then it's aerated and you'll need to figure out why.
One way to bleed it to idle the engine with enough fluid and gently lock to lock. Keep and eye on the amount of fluid in the reservoir. A preferred method (with me) is to do this with the front wheels jacked up off the ground.
Don't attempt to bleed with aerated fluid. Let it settle a few hours first.

If the fluid is not aerated, I'm guessing the whine is your pump and it needs replacing.

I also assume your accessory belt is not the source of the noise and it in good shape. ..or idler pulley bearings too.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I too would recommend jacking up the car and with the engine idling slowly turn the steering lock to lock. Make sure you have someone monitor the fluid level to ensure it doesn't run low and pull more air into the system.

If it's leaking it may very well be around the steering rack so check there as well. It may pay to buy some engine degreaser and give the bottom of the engine bay/cross member a good clean as it will make it easier to try and track down a leak.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
The PWR reserviours are known for aerating the fluid, stock one is better. The stock one has a filter screen in the bottom which the stop leak might have plugged up (the Nulon stuff has teflon particles in it). I would give your stock res a good clean and refit with fresh dexron 3 fluid, see how it goes.