Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Issue

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Driving to Repco this arvo to organise the new brake booster (refer other thread in here), and I've encountered another problem...

Roll up to the lights and noticed that the heater started blowing cold air (6 degrees ambient this afternoon here), looked down to see the battery charge light up, and the temperature gauge just below H...

Pulled over to check it out, no coolant loss, fan going flat chat and then I see that the serpentine belt has decided to come off! So evidently no charge to the battery and no coolant circulation. Managed to untangle the belt, undamaged...

Checked all the pulleys, nothing seized, although the power steer one is a bit wobbly, but it is tight. Mate arrives with tools, we go to put the belt back on, and notice that the pulley is at least 20mm out of alignment :hmmm:

Took the pulley off, and it seems that the bit that the pulley bolts on to has come adrift from the pump shaft and come forward! We belted it back to the proper position, but on start up it came forward again, but were able to limp the car home.

SO... what's the go, I'm assuming that this piece should be securely pressed on to the shaft? There is some play in the shaft too, so am I best off replacing the whole thing? This is already the second pump from new, but it would be every bit of 10 years old, maybe more.

Where's the best place & price to get a new pump from these days? Prefer quality over cheap Chinese ****...