Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering issues

jamie o'reilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore Ute 6.0 ltr
Hi guys I have a 2012 ss thunder 6 litre Ute and my power steering pump got noisy and steering was hard, so I replaced the pump.
Anyways lasted about 3 weeks don’t really drive it a lot as I have a work ute and it’s gone on me again? Anyone had this issue ? Wether something else is wrong I haven’t had a chance to put it on a hoist and have a geezer! Thanks in advance !

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Did you flush the fluid lines and rack?
My guess is that the last pump broke and left metal in the fluid and lines. The new pump has swallowed that debris and also broken as a result.

Remove the pump, flush the system and reinstall a new pump.

jamie o'reilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore Ute 6.0 ltr
Did you flush the fluid lines and rack?
My guess is that the last pump broke left metal in the fluid and lines. The new pump has swallowed that debris and also broken as a result.

Remove the pump, flush the system and reinstall a new pump.

yeah mate I done a full system flush before installing the new pump maybe I may have missed some or maybe the pump I put on it wasn’t real good‍♂️

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
When you install the new/used pump,did you check all the other pulley's incl. belt tensioner?
R you sure when you start the engine drive belt drives all the necessary accessories?
Makes sure all the pulley's spins free,specially alt.and a/c.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
When steering first gets noisy I just replace the fluid and it usually fixes it completely.