Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering leak, help needed.

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by And_ROOS, Dec 29, 2009.

1. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member

Members Ride:
    HSV +6
    I have done searches and found bits and pieces of information, but perhaps ive been misunderstanding so my apologies for making this thread.

Losing alot of fluid and it appears to be from the power steering, what tests can i conduct to see what it is thats causing the issue? When i checked the area where i could see power steering oil there was one thing that bothered me.
    In the attached pic there is bolts A, which are usually firmly connected to area B. These were sticking slightly out and not sitting flush, yet when i tried to tighten or loosen them nothing gave, they stayed where they were and i potentially just damaged the nuts fiddling.

Ill upload a pic tomorrow and someone can tell me if they are sitting right or if they are the cause unless someone here has a pic of them on there car and can show me how they should be.
    [​IMG]

2. accentstencil

accentstencil Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    WH II Caprice, 5.7 2017 Captiva.
    They are the power steering fluid lines, they have O rings as seals and only need to be tightened enough to not leak. They can't be done up all the way so no thread is showing. If it is leaking from there then you need to replace the O rings.. The leak could also be from the pump area and running down the fluid line.

3. 9C1pack

9C1pack Member

Clean the area with degreaser, and then run the engine. Get someone else to move the steering wheel back and forward while you watch for the source of the leak.

4. jazza15

jazza15 Jarryd

Members Ride:
    1999 VT II S
    If it is going to leak from there it will be the high pressure hose closest to you (from drivers side), it is the return line and is most likely to leak.
    A pack of 'o' rings is very cheap and should fix the problem just fine. Mine bottoms out against the case, so I am not sure whether or not there is something wrong with the hose thread or not. (flared part length)

5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member

Members Ride:
    HSV +6
    Well my mech ran through stuff to help the seals, whatever it is called that is mixed in with power steering. He said should that not fix it my steering rack is stuffed and that im looking at a $750 repair bill.

Surely someone else can replace my steering rack for less, and id assume by replacing the whole rack it could solve any other potential steering issues?

Sadly im still getting a leak out the bottom of the car near the drivers side wheel so im not sure what else it could be besides the rack or boot.

6. schrinky

schrinky New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore Executive 9C1
    where did you get the quote for the power steering rack, and what does it include, mine is about to be done and i was quoted 600 with new tie rod ends and a rack as well as labour, these things are not cheap to fix and are a well know problem in commodores. take a look around. in relation to the other leaks, have you replaced all the hoses and the reservoir, that stopped some of the leaking on mine.

7. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member

Members Ride:
    HSV +6
    Bridgestone Frankston quoted me the $430ish im calling again Monday to find out exactly what it is they do.

8. alexlove

alexlove New Member

Members Ride:
    vx/vp berlina
    i have same problem with my vx berlina. i got a new power steering rack and its still leaking. my friend rekons i might need new hoses.

9. james_sherman

james_sherman New Member

Members Ride:
    vn executive
    hey guys i work for subaru when i took my vt in to cheack for the leak i got some one to hold it on full lock as tight as you can even past where you are ment to and you will see where it sprays from because it will put tons of pressure in the system most of the time with vts are just a loose line from the resivor or the high pressure line wich is only like 50 buck and a head ach to get to or the power steering pump rear seal so cheak over it your selfs before you start put money in to that other stuff

10. jafo

jafo lurker since 2003

Members Ride:
    1999 wh statesman
    easy fix is to get a gasket kit take the pump apart replace all gaskets o rings and fit back to vehicle me and a friend have done this twice now easy to do takes about 30 min never leaked after

11. scozz76

scozz76 Member

Members Ride:
    VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
    Yep! really easy.

12. s_ikari2015

s_ikari2015 Fun IS easier with an 8

Members Ride:
    '02 Monaro V2 CV8, '83 Subaru Sherpa, '87 Sherpa
    my VT was leaking through the steering rack itself into the outer boot!!! When Holden inspected the steering rack they slid the boots off and discovered them dripping fluid.

The pump was also shot due to low fluid levels (no matter how often I topped it up). Both were replaced with refurbished units from coventrys, cost me $2,500 fitted by Holden.

13. VSHeaven

VSHeaven Member

Members Ride:
    VY Acclaim S2
    Is your arse still hurting from the reaming?
    Firstly, if you had shopped around you could have picked up an exchange rack for $200.00 to $250.00. AC Delco reconditioned pump add another $150.00. This should not have cost more than $700.00 to fix. Next time you are in Sydney I have a harbour bridge for sale.

14. VYMAD

VYMAD SILVERFOX

Members Ride:
    VY EXECUTIVE S2
    !!!!!!!!!!! Man, that's bad, are you fairdinkum, 2 1/2 grand?:hmmm:

15. gungazza

gungazza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
    lol 250 for reco rack ,2hr labor out front on road

16. dylanstone

dylanstone tsu tsu tsu tsu

Members Ride:
    3.8L 1997 VT executive
    hey guys,
    i have a vt and teh steering goes super stiff at low speeds (parking) and around roundabouts
    what would the problem be and if there is one how much would it be to fix?
    cheers.