Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering leak

Holden V8 SS Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VN Track Car
Hi everyone.

I got a power steering leak somewhere on 5litre holden commodore, I think it may be the pump just getting everyones opinion on what seal etc could go. Could it be the pump loose nut? Or maybe even the rack itself, Information much appreciated thanks:)

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
mine was leaking , its 20 years old after all lol

run a bottle of that nulon stop leak ... it stoped mine leaking and has been good for 6months since put it thru.

get some degreaser and clean the area up ... go for a drive and then pull over and shine torch on driver side and look up where the 2 hoses join the rack ... sometimes they leak because clamps need replacing or tightening. also there is a pressure hose that can crack and leak as well ...

just try the bottle of nulon power steering stop leak and dont overfill the power steering box as it can stuff up the pump..see if leak stops few weeks later .. if not get under and see if its from the hoses ..

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The best thing to do is to clean around the pump, hoses and rack. Then check it again acouple days later.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
i just replaced mine the rear seal on the back of the pump let go so it was dripping down onto the pipes and back to the rack and beyond

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
possibly the seal on the high pressure line going from pump to rack. There would be an O ring on each end of the line that cost about $1 each. The hard part is getting the nut undone.

AdamOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wags
i had a leak in my buick v6.. turned out to just be a loose nut where the rubber hose connected to the little metal pipe bit. it may be that??? have a look for the leaked fluid in the bay and it should help you find the problem?

Holden V8 SS Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VN Track Car
hi guys.

Yeah had a look around checked out the whole rack etc.

Finally found a loose bloody hose line clamp that connects to the pump. So tightened it hopefully it goes away. We will see. And yes its 20 years old so held up ok. I think i face a problem with the pump now as it hardly is (power steering) feels like natural olden days steering cheers guys.

Holden V8 SS Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VN Track Car
common problem is for the big 'O' ring seal in the pump to become brittle and leak. if you find its leaking out the pump, ive got some pictures of mine when i replaced all the seals in it if you need :). new seal kit is like 50 bucks from holden new.

Yeh dude it wouldnt be a bad idea if u got time to send the pics across. Just incase mine is still leaking I will replace seals just PM me the pics when ya free cheers.