Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering leaking.. ideas?

thekow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s2
I got my Car about 4 months ago and i notice about a month ago my resivour is leaking , i cant seem to work out where its leaking from ,
I reaplced hoses and still leaks , i think it may be the actual lid thats leaking , has anyone had thier lid leak and did you just replace the lid or the whole thing?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
More likely to be the pump or rack leaking. Very common.

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
mines also leaking so im replacing the powersteering pump next week. I can't stand any oil leaks on my car :)

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
there are 2 high pressure lines, make sure they are tight, mine was leaking One of the lines was just loose :)

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
Just replaced my whole steering rack :( cost $450 installed, but that was the rack with varitronic. I hope you dont need to spend that much like me :(

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Power steering pump is so common, starting from the VN.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Word of advice - replace the o-ring seal on the high pressure pipe coming out of the back of the pump. I overhauled the pump myself and it was a total success although in hindsite my problem would have been solved by replacing a 10 cent o-ring. Undo the pipe and you will find the seal on the end of the pipe.

Do not try overtightening the nut if it already feels tight. The o-ring dries and shrinks and needs replacing. Be sure to have a bottle of fluid to top it up once the seal is replaced.:thumbsup:

VTSick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais SC
Many have had pump leaks and get a changeover for $250 bucks fitted but little do they know a kit is available from Holden for $15

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
thekow, I noticed mine was leaking a week ago and discovered I had a split line.

I replaced the line and washed it down but it still leaks. I took it off and plugged up the holes and it still leaks. but the reservior is only moist from the seam down so I figure it is leaking through the reservior.. I am going to replace the reserviour and see how I go.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Slick6 said:
thekow, I noticed mine was leaking a week ago and discovered I had a split line.

I replaced the line and washed it down but it still leaks. I took it off and plugged up the holes and it still leaks. but the reservior is only moist from the seam down so I figure it is leaking through the reservior.. I am going to replace the reserviour and see how I go.
Now that you mention it again I remember my resevoir was leaking from the seam. It was not very expensive to replace, under $30 I think.