Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Noise Question

nugatory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1 Station Wagon
Bad Mechanic Experience & Power Steering Noise

First some deep insight:

Ok I've had my car for just over 3 years now, and because my car is lowered I hit a driveway / combo gutter head on and it broke my sump dropping all my oil. I stopped driving it at this point.... The car sat around for 6 months while I decided how and what to do with it. The car was completely startable, and it would start if I put oil into it but it would drip out slowly till it was dry.

So I bought a new sump off ebay and got the mechanic to do the work, and before I knew it, I had an $1800 mechanics bill. They couldn't get the car started either and had to send it off to an auto electricians and apparently it was a faulty DF module as they couldn't get spark. I feel I was taken for a complete and utter ride by this mechanic. They did fix some other trailer arms and bushes in my car but I didn't really know they were doing that. The job I asked for was to get my car started and running. Pretty simple really.

Also they degassed my air conditioning. which really annoyed me. Because (later as you'll find out) I did a motor swap myself and worked out how to remove the air conditioner compressor without degassing it. This is why I hate mechanics.

They also said my power steering needed fixing and it's gonna cost $550 for the new pump and maybe something with the rack too, I don't know. I said no... I just want the car fixed so it runs... I mean.. what good is a car that needs a power steering pump but doesn't even start.

So anyway the car came back with a new DF module with the new coils I supplied them and now starts etc, but it had the biggest misfire ever. Car ran like crap and I had to pump the accelerator twice to get full acceleration out of it.

So I continued to drive it, finally blowing up the motor because of a heater tap that broke off and dropped all the water out of my engine. So I cooked the motor completely to the point it makes funny sounds when trying to start it. I was actually relieved because this motor was completely p@$%ing me off anyway.

So I bought an excellent doner car for $500 and an engine hoist for $235 and new gaskets and hoses for $200 (trade price) and did a complete motor swap.

During this, I had to drop the power steering rack (just those 2 large bolts) but was careful not to move it much while I dropped the exhaust down a little.

So I put the new motor in my car from the doner car and then 2 days later it too started to misfire... So I took the DF modulator off the motor that I blew up (coz it was brand new apparently) and then put it onto this motor complete with the new set of coils and it now runs like a dream... So the misfire in the motor that blew up wasn't the coils or DF modulator I later found out. It had new spark plugs and leads too so I put the problem down to crossfire, or maybe the motor had just had it.

Anyway, the new motor is now fantastic. I'm actually amazed at how good the car actually runs now after all the dramas I've had. It's also stopped leaking fluids because I put a new transmission seal on it, and new rocker cover gaskets, and then all new hoses throughout. New heater tap, new heater hoses / radiator hoses / transmission cooler hoses and new power steering hoses.

So I a few days later I got a wheel alignment. Now after the alignment my steering feels all stiff and jerky whereas before the alighment it felt good and normal.

Why would it feel jerky after a wheel alignment? I got it done at Bob Jane I think or Beaurepairs.

Also today, My power steering made some really loud noises. I was driving the car all this morning then pulled up at a friends, then drove it to the supermarket 5 mins away and the car was making so much power steering grinding noise it was embarressing.

It made the noise on the trip back from coles too. But then the car sat for 20 mins and then on the next drive, it was all back to normal. Just a little stiff and jerky again.

What is going on with my steering?

Please anyone welcome to give any input whatsoever!

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id be contacting consumer affairs or Motor Traders Association or whoever you see about stuff like that to make a complaint.The mechanic should have just done what was asked and thats it.(fitted the sump and got it running)Id be wanting at leat $1000 returned.Because thats about how much he have overcharged (robbed) you.Dont let them get away with it.With the steering,check the power steering fluid and check the hoses that run from the fluid reservoir. Ages ago a mate had a loud noise coming from the engine bay,it was making a noise every time the steering wheel was turned. One of the P/S hoses was slightly kinked which blocked the flow,and the pump made a hell of a noise.No grinding though.Just a screaming screeching sound.Straightened the hose ,and all fixed.It might be worth taking a look .

Last edited:

sydsider66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
Report the dog to the dept of fair trading.The mongrel will have to explain why hes done repairs that were unnecessary.Its happened to me heaps.Finding a good honest mechanic that doesnt lie through his teeth is like finding a needle in a haystack.Sign of the times unfortunatley.Best of luck mate.

nugatory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1 Station Wagon
Id be contacting consumer affairs or Motor Traders Association or whoever you see about stuff like that to make a complaint.The mechanic should have just done what was asked and thats it.(fitted the sump and got it running)Id be wanting at leat $1000 returned.Because thats about how much he have overcharged (robbed) you.Dont let them get away with it..

Unfortuneately it's probably too late to do anything about it. It's my word against his as well, but the best punishment is they've lost a whole families worth of business. We have 3 commodores that used to go there.

What makes me really sick is how many people turn up to get their cars fixed there each day. Not just Commodores but Pulsars, Corollas, Excel's, etc... So no matter what car you're into, there's a good chance it's gonna come back stuffed.

What I REALLY wanted to do was this: Park the car out the front of the mechanics (on the road) and put a sign on my car that says "MY CAR WAS REPAIRED HERE FOR $1800 AND NOW I HAVE EMPTY POCKETS AND NO CAR".

I think that'd be really effective plus they'd actually take notice or probably call RACQ to tow it away because it's broken down ... lol... the irony.

With the steering,check the power steering fluid and check the hoses that run from the fluid reservoir. Ages ago a mate had a loud noise coming from the engine bay,it was making a noise every time the steering wheel was turned. One of the P/S hoses was slightly kinked which blocked the flow,and the pump made a hell of a noise.No grinding though.Just a screaming screeching sound.Straightened the hose ,and all fixed.It might be worth taking a look .

I'm gonna replace the fluids as well. A mate looked at it today and saw traces of water in it (maybe from when the motor was out and all the degreasing took place). This'll prolly teach me to cover up the plugs next time I have the motor out and want to do cleaning. I'll check for kinks too because I thought of that as well while driving.

I'm pretty sure it's also overheating because I spelt burnt auto fluid when it started grinding again today, then half an hour with the car off and it's all back to normal as if nothing had ever happened.