Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Oil Change?

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I have a VE Berlina and would appreciate your help with the required procedures as to how to flush and change the power steering oil?

Do I only need empty the power steering oil resovoir or is their more to it?

Cheers,

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You'll need two people.

Put a container under the tank ready to catch the fluid when you do the next step. Remove the inlet pipe from the tank and aim it into another container. Inlet pipe should be on the passenger side of the tank. Plug the tank so it doesnt leak from where you just removed the hose. Fill the tank and start the engine and let it idle and keep pouring fresh fluid into the tank, dont let it drop below max. Once the fluid going into the container is clean turn the engine off and reconnect the hose to the tank.

You'll probably need 4 litres or more to flush the system clean. (Dexron VI Auto Trans Fluid)

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I just use a large syringe to suck out all I can, once every 6 to 12months gets more than enough to keep it fresh.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I just use a large syringe to suck out all I can, once every 6 to 12months gets more than enough to keep it fresh.

So you may as well just drain half your engine oil as well, itll still be fresh right?

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks Ricey. It seems easy. 4 litres to flush the system sounds like a lot of oil and it is expensive stuff given the new oil that is used to flush cannot be used again obviously. How much oil do i need to fill the system so I know how much to purchase?

I will give this a shot this weekend.

Cheers

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
5 litres total would be adequate.

Just shut the engine down when u have a bit left and you wont come up short.

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Ricey, thanks for your help.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Are you guys sure,I have never heard of that you had to replace your power steering fluid,I have never done it or had it done.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No probs Joey.

EDGE, no fluid will last forever mate and the more often you change it the longer life you will get from the components it flows through, in this case the power steering pump and steering rack.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
I know that your right Ricey its just that I have never come across this topic before,all the cars that I have had I have only replaced a few power steering racks,changing the fluid has never ever been done by any mechanic that I have ever been to,and no mechanic has ever said to have it done,I have had the same mechanic for years that I go to have rego done and some major work that I couldnt do myself and even he has never told me that the power steering fluid needed to be changed, what the hell?