Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering onto vl

hosedogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl sl 5spd 6 n/a turbo convert '88
power steering onto vl need info asap

hey guys i'm in the process of buying power steering for my car and was just wondering if anyone on here would be able to give a list of everything that is needed? i picked up the pump, resovoier (spelling) and two of the hoses tonight (two shorter ones). how much am i missing? i know theres at least the power steering rack and one other hose that i need (missing the long hose), but not completly sure on everything i actually need. i also need this info asap please as the guy lives an hours drive away and i didn't want to go down a 2nd time, but i got to now and i definatly do not want to need to go down a 3rd if i find out that i am still missing something after i go down again. cheers.

Last edited:

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
parts

hosedogg said:
hey guys i'm in the process of buying power steering for my car and was just wondering if anyone on here would be able to give a list of everything that is needed? i picked up the pump, resovoier (spelling) and two of the hoses tonight (two shorter ones). how much am i missing? i know theres at least the power steering rack and one other hose that i need (missing the long hose), but not completly sure on everything i actually need. i also need this info asap please as the guy lives an hours drive away and i didn't want to go down a 2nd time, but i got to now and i definatly do not want to need to go down a 3rd if i find out that i am still missing something after i go down again. cheers.

Have u got the bracket to hang the pump on, and bracket to hold the reservior in place, bolts that u may need.
Can't think of anything more at the moment..:thumbsup:

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Plus intermediate column shaft - the one with the universals at each end as input spline is different and length is different between manual steering and power.

Henerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL 5spd
Pump
Pump Bracket + 3 bolts + 2 pump adjusting bolts - can't just use any bolt, needs to be the genuine ones.
Fluid Reservior (don't really need the bracket)

Lines:
2 metal ones which should have short rubber hoses connected to them..

1 metal one has a short rubber hose connected on the end, which goes to the pump, the other end is a screw fitting, goes to the rack

2nd metal one, runs from the pump, then under the radiator, then up, has a rubber hose connected on the end, and goes to the reservoir.

Then there's a 3rd rubber hose, that goes from the reservoir, to the rack.

Have fun installing it.

As stated above, you MUST get a intermediate shaft taken from a power steering car, the manual one will not bolt up.
To remove the old intermediate shaft, you have to get under the dash steering column, rip out the rubber boot, and undo one bolt.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah thats true about how to get the intermediate shaft out. If you are finding it hard the whole steering collum is attached by 3 nuts, 2 up front and one down the back and then the whole collum will come out and you will be able to do it easily.
the clamp bolt (youll know what i mean when you see it) that was on my 2 cars seemed to be something like 17.5mm 18mm was too big and 17 too small i ended up using an 11/16 im pretty sure. good luck. Also dont get atf on your skin, its very bad it gets into your pours very quickly.

Good Luck
Stewart

hosedogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl sl 5spd 6 n/a turbo convert '88
awesome thanks for that guys. the guy's coming down here some time next week with it. the pumps still on its bracket, the resevoir has that metal bit around it with a bolt in one side, but i'm guessing that wouldn't be tha whole bracket. i'll have to ring the bloke tomorrow to tell him i'm going to need the intermediate shaft also, cause atm he'll be bringing down the rack, the low pressure hose and all the bolts. i'll buy a new belt as mine needs to be replaced soon anyway. heh i get atf on my hands all the time at work (mechanic), but that gets washed off more or less straight away. thanks again for the help guys. cheers.

lukee1986

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx series 2 2001 3.8 lt
need pics of line that attaches under ungine on passendger side please and under car