Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering problem..

96 Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
recently noticed an issue with power steering on my calais.

it only happens at/after about half lock when turning left only.

when it gets to this point my steering gets very loose and i feel a grinding through the wheel.. remember this only happens turning left, not right, at about the half lock point.. only seems todo it when travelling at speed.. 30km/h+ i suppose

as far as i know the steering rack is only a few years old (3-4yrs), so with any luck it isnt the rack.. ive got to change a hose coming from the reservoir as it seems to be a water hose (/shrug), although i was advised against doing that myself by mates since it may lead to flushing out the fluids.. it seems unlikely to me this could be related by the water hose 'hammering' since this problem is only recent and this hose has been on the car since before ive owned it.. however could be a possibility? maybe a p/steer pump?

anyways, any idea's on this loosening / grinding when turning left? it feels quite unsafe

any knowledge you can arm me with before taking it in would be much appreciated

in advance, thankyou

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
maybe the rack has an air bubble in it. run it for a bit turning the wheel from side to side. open the res and let any pressurised air out and keep repeating

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
This is from a top of the line pit crew mechanc
maybe the rack has an air bubble in it. Run it for a bit turning the wheel from side to side. Open the res and let any pressurised air out and keep repeating
well done