Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering problem

BUSTA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN LE
just recently i have discovered a leak in my power steering and also it has started to make a loud noise when turnng and gets louder as you turn to full lock. does anyone know what the problem is ? or could it just be because it keeps running dry from the leak ? all help appreciated

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I'm guessing it's a whining noise you're hearing . . . Very common when the fluid runs low. Probably bad for the pump too - make sure you keep the fluid level more or less where it's meant to be . . . and yeah - get your leak fixed as soon as possible. My leak was the pump itself - it squirted fluid on to the bonnet! Replaced the pump - a little expensive but I did it myself and it's all good now!

Hope it helps
Sam

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
i think mine is leaking from the steering rack as it is doing the same thing, very loud whinig noise when cornering at low speeds and when the fluid is low, but shes getting fixed over the next, better hope that it is the rack and not the pump cos i dont want to have to pay for 2 things... i'll check tomorrow jst to make sure it is the rack.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
In the meantime, get some fluid from somebody (or get some at a servo - it's cheap as hell) and top up your tank. As I understand it, the whining noise is the pump running partly dry . . . NOT good for the life of the pump. Keep it filled properly (DON'T overfill it!) because the pump is worth a couple of hundred bucks new, plus fitting . . . I got an exchange (reconditioned) one from Holden parts department and it was simple enough to fit (did it myself in about 2 hours with no previous experience).

Look after your pump though! Whining noise = very bad for pump life in the long term.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I reckon its the pump, especially if its leaking. I have heard they sell reconditioning kits, but hard to do apparently.

Blulude98

Reaction score
Dont bother reconditioning it the are pretty hard, for $60.00 you can buy a good one at the local wreckers.