Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Pump Rebuild

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec 3.8L V6
hey guys been readin up heaps on the power steering issue and i am not sure which way to go,

its leackin oil and smells like its burning some where,
now it looks like its leackin where it connects to the engine to the right hand side of it and its making a scraping noise when i turn dont seem to be 2 bad with the revs up
(not sure if this is cause i cant hear it or the higher revs help stop the noise)

do i need to get a whole new pump or can i rebuild it also any costs if one konws of any.

thanks
Al

ps: let me know if u need more info.

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
anyone!
plz....

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
You can rebuild, I think it costs $100 for the kit, but you need a special tool and need to know what your doing. I suggest that you get a swap over, it'll cost you around $160, save the hassle of rebuilding. Changing it is very easy, spare about 30-45 minutes, and make sure you bleed the system.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
If you can get trade at repco you will get a new pump for $143 plus GST. A local bloke up here remans them for $130 plus. Shop around you will get decent prices.

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
sweet thanks guys,really appreciated might get one today some time,will get a refurb one save me the hassle of rebuilding when i dont really know what i am doing, but changing one over wont b a problem,

ohh one other thing how do i bleed the oil, not really sure what u mean by bleed.
thanks
al

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
From memory, lift the car's front with a hydraulic jack, and turn the steering wheel left (lock) to right (lock) several times (I think while the cars off) and until your oil level is constant, and turn the car on and do the same, once you get constant oil level you have bleeded your system.

Could anyone please correct me:)

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
just got a recon pump $95 as for the oil what type of oil do i use i heard u can use gear box oil is this true as i ahve some here its dextronIII

thanks
al

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
millencolin said:
just got a recon pump $95 as for the oil what type of oil do i use i heard u can use gear box oil is this true as i ahve some here its dextronIII

thanks
al

Yeah its DEXIII.

Clacks

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
i am i havin a bad day or what the recon seems to be worse than the old one..........

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
Leaking or the noise????