Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Pump Rebuild

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec 3.8L V6
both acctually i would say the noise is from the lack of oil in it but man is pissin out is kinda frothy as well as though its got a little pin size jet coming out, double checked my hoses and its still pissin out.

what a day.!

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Is it spraying out of the hose (low pressure ; high pressure) or from the pump (block)?

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey just took the pump off and the split washer ting that holds the back of the pump together has come off, could this b something i did or it wasnt seated properly in the first place.
thanks
al

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
The pressure hose has a tiny gasket (size of a ring), did you replace that gasket?

Also dont overtighten, this will split the gaskets.

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey didnt replace it but its the back of the pump that has come apart which is really annoying as cant touch the car till monday hav relatives over the weknd.

any way will swap over the pump and if same thing happens again then its somethign i am doing but its that simple that cant c that i have done anything wrong.

thanks for ur posts holden007

Joe_222

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Probably a little late for you millencolin but you shouldn't be afraid of rebuilding your pump. As long as you've got access to a decent set of tools it's a reasonably easy job. i did mine maybe 4 months back it cost me $3 for a seal kit (special price but i doubt it'd be much more than $10 from coventry) and took about two hours, probably only half an hour once you know what your doing. No more scraping noise and i haven't had to put fluid in since.

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh thanks mate bought a recon and it all works now perfectly,still pretty stoked that i managed to change it my self i am usualy an electronic person and an oil and filter man but i am gettin better........cheers
al

D

drew97vs

You can buy a kit for $15 dollars and it comes with a diagram and instructions only special tool you need is a flat screw driver just make sure you get a high pressure o ring cause the ones in the kit dont seal properly