Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Pump Removal/Installation VN/VP

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Wow, about time I got back to these writeups. Been a bit AWOL in the last few years... sorry guys!
:bow:

Anyway, If your like me then your power steering is or was totally shagged. Age is the primary cause, but you don't often hear of Jappa power steering ****ting itself even when it gets on a bit right? One of the big reasons is a major design flaw in the VN in particular, the lack of any heat removal. If you look at a VR, they have a single metal tube that runs out in front of the radiator much like the trans cooler does and as a result I believe they might be less niggly, but seals and racks will still wear out. My personal choice was to replace both the rack and pump with overhauled ones, and install a trans cooler into the low pressure return line to shed the excess heat and promote long life of my expensive shiny new bits.

I'll split this into three threads, In this the first one we'll look at the Pump.

A few words of warning:
- Don't ever tamper with the design of the high pressure line or feed. It gets up to 300psi in corners, any kinks will rupture causing mess and tears
- If your not sure of the condition of your high or even low pressure lines, replace them. A new HP line from Holden is only about $30, and they do wear out
- Transmission line is fine for the LP side of things
- DON'T cross thread anything! I know at least one member of these forums can attest to this fact
- Use ONLY Dextron 3 Automatic Transmission Fluid in Commodores and Calais, anything else will attack the seals. This goes for any type of hydraulic system.

Tools Required
- Sockets & Ring Spanners, inc 10, 13, 16, 17, 18, & 19mm
- Screwdrivers
- 1 Litre Dextron 3 Automatic Transmission Fluid
- Hoseclips if yours are shagged

Power Steering Pump Removal & Re-installation
Note: this can be done without even getting under the car, but be sure that your not over any surface that will absorb oil unless you don't care

1. First, get familiar with what your looking at:
A = Low Pressure (Rack to Res.) Return Line
B = High Pressure (Pump to Rack) Feed Line

Pic1.jpg
Pic2.jpg

2. Now, we'd rather not have dirty old ATF all over the place, so next drain the system. Disconnect the low pressure (Line A) hose from the res, and catch any fluid as it drains out. Next place the line into a plastic bottle or bucket within the engine bay and start the engine, allowing it to run for 30 seconds or so to pump a fair chunk of the old fluid out. A few rev's helps it along.

Pic3.jpg
Pic4.jpg

3. Done that? Great. Now to start pulling things apart. Before you remove the PK belt, first loosen off the bolts attaching the pully to the pump with a 10mm socket or spanner. It will make life a lot easier in a moment. Use the 18mm socket to lift the tensioner pully and remove the belt - take notice of the way it goes around all the pullys! With the belt off, remove the pully bolts and set them all aside.

Pic5.jpg

4. Time to get the Res off. Three small bolts, I think the were 8mm. With them out, the res will lift (with a little encouragment) from the pump. Note the 'O' Ring, if your new pump doesn't have one you'll need to salvage this one. Be sure to clean it with a bit of meths or similar. You'll note i've also elected to remove the top expansion bottle cooling line, thus the bleeding anti-freeze. Series one owners will anyway.

Pic6.jpg
Pic7.jpg

Pic8.jpg

5. Remove line B from earlier, that is to say the High Pressure Line from the back of the pump. All thats holding it on now should be the front mounting bolts, two of. These are size 17mm.

Pic9.jpg
Pic10.jpg

6. Just like that! Your pump should be off. Installation is a reversal of above, but I stress again DON'T cross thread the high pressure line! If you intend to remove the rack as I did, then leave the HP line until the rack if out and there is some slack to ensure you can line up the threads nice.

Pic11.jpg

(c) 2008 JetSpin Racing Team
[email protected]
:thumbsup:

Totenkopf

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' VR Commodore Wagon
M8, your post just saved me $150. Ledgend

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Not bad, i would suggest investing in a 5/8 pipe spanner for the high pressure hose, sumtimes its a bit ahrd to get off with a open-ender especially if there tight not been off in ages.

Makes the job easy as, was cheap 18 at repco or sumfink around that.

Another word of warning for all, watch the plastic connecter pipe for the return line on the resivor, its weak breaks easy, i broke mine tryin to unscrew the clamp

Good write up, it a easy job that ppl assume will be alot harder, this will help alot out

sv3800#055

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SV3800
Thanks mate, will come in handy as my p/s pump is leaking

VRcommondoor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stock VR 3.8V6 (Petrol/Gas)
Another word of warning for all, watch the plastic connecter pipe for the return line on the resivor, its weak breaks easy, i broke mine tryin to unscrew the clamp

I second that. Mine snapped off inside the hose and wreckers wanted $40 just for new reservoir. Also a pain in the rear if its your only car and you dont live anywhere near a wreckers. All I wanted to do was replace the tensioner and now I have this problem... LOL NEVER ENDS

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
I'd imagine its a good thing it snapped when it did mate, if it were to give whilst you were driving you'd cook the pump at very least if not the rack as well.

But I do feel your pain.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
I changed the PS pump on my old VN a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, the top pump mounting bolt threads into the aluminium timing cover & when I removed the top bolt, the aluminium thread came out with it. :bang: :doh:

Had to buy a M10-1.5 Thread Repair Kit & install an insert. All good after that.

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a new Commodore
What size nut is on line B? I have tried a 17mm which seems to fit pretty well but the nut seems pretty well stripped and I want to make sure I am using the right size before stripping the nut any more.

iantolmie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore v6 berlina
greta thread ,im having issues getting the back bolt off the power steering pump, ive taken the others off helpppppp:bomb:

Johnnie Gumaka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais sedan
This was really helpful to me never done it before, so just took my time and followed your instructions. The bit about loosening the 4 belts on the pulley was where I got stuck 2 backed off o.k. but the other 2 would'nt budge even with the belt still on. Took belt off got a long good quality screwdriver wedged it inbetween the bolts still on the pulley and got "Missus" to pull back on it while I used a socket ( tight fitting socket) to ''crack'' the other 2 bolts. (sprayed bolts with WD-40 first then lightly tapped on them with a small hammer...gently) don't have a comprehensive tool selection so had to be careful. After that...just took my time and followed steps on your ''post''. Was really wrapped I saved $110 in labour and I got to do it myself. Clear, concise, and the photos really helpful, ''CHEERS''.