Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering pump removal v6 vs commodore

legend1944

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 2 VS Calais V6
I am having great trouble removing the pressure pipe from the pump. I'm using a flare spanner but am still frightened i may round off the nut (16mm). Is there any trick to getting it to release. If I damage the nut I will have to replace the whole pipe???
I assume it is likely to be just as hard to remove the other end from the rack???
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Even thought of using some heat and or ice to free it

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Not meaning to be a smart arse, but in the position it is in, make sure you are undoing not doing up.
If you start to round up the nut, revert to vice grips like I would.

legend1944

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 2 VS Calais V6
No got the direction right. Just frozen

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
It's actually 5/8 AF to be truthful. Yes they can be a real mongrel to undo. If you don't have the ABS unit in the way it's somewhat easier but you'll find that if you can get a good purchase on the flare nut then see if you can apply a sharp blow to it as smooth pressure will round it off. I know it's easier said than done but I've reconditioned well over 300 pumps and removed / installed them and have only ever had one that required vice grips, small vice grips at that with the correct tension so as not to destroy the flats on the nut so this way it could be re-used next time.

legend1944

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 2 VS Calais V6
Thanks a million for your help. I knew I was going to round off the nut if I kept applying more pressure. Took your advice about 3 or 4 sharp hits and it came off relatively easily. Installed a new pump ( chinese off ebay). Unfortunately pump pulley does not align correctly with other drive pulleys. It sits too far forward by approx 2mm causing the drive belt to ride up into the inside edge of the pump pulley. I suspect this is a manufacturing measurement error as it does not look as if the flange con be pushed further onto the pump shaft. Any thoughts??

Barrie Edmonds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
There is about 1-1/2 to 2mm end float on the pulley or you can get a 1/2mm spacer ring to put between the pully and the pump Boss , most ebay pumps come with the spacer.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I wouldn't waste one minute on any eBay pumps. I'd always opt to rebuild a Saginaw pump as they are pretty bulletproof in the long run.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't know if mine is original one the ute came out with but it's done over 200k if it is and still going good. I fitted a new resi seal 3 years ago and no other probs at all.
Some parts on the old VR and VS you can't beat genuine, for quality and reliability.