Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Pump Replacement

marcoVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
Hey guys, how much should a mechenic charge to replace the power steering pump and hoses in my VR - V6? Any help appreciated. Is it a big job? Should I get a new one or a reconditioned one?

Last edited:

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Reconditioned is ok. You'd be looking at a few hundred but also you need to look at the rack too.

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
i just done mine on weekend took about 30 mins too do pump and i done hoses before they can be a bit off a pain but not too bad i got quoted 450 too do pump and 1 hose a few months back???? not sure if thats a good price

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I did my VR V6 power steering pump about 12 months ago. The seal kit was about $25 from Repco and it took me about 2 hours. That was taking it easy with a few beers.:drink:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
just done mine few weeks ago too. The pipe on the back of the pump was a bastard. Everything else was real easy. I suggest you buy a quality 5/8 pipe spanner before you start, and you will do it in no time. If you still can't get it off you can undo the other end off the rack and work on it on your bench. get prices from steering shops for a reco pump. 450 is pretty dear for a reco pump.
I got a reco rack and pump for $350 total(trade price) and fitted myself.

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
yeh id sugest doing urself i laughed at 450 bought a reco for 80 bucks and 15 for fluid whacked it on in 30 mins and yes 5/8 spanner makes a big diff lol