Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering pump - seal replacement

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Nah no special tools needed. Just a G-clamp or similar, small flathead and pliers is all I used. Just remember that all the o-rings are different sizes even though they might look the same! And once the end plate is off, everything should slide out piece by piece. But I found the "ring" needed a bit of motivation :p

I got my seal kit from ebay member "suzukisuper". It was $9 or something plus few dollars postage which includes the two main o-rings, shaft seal, resivour o-ring and valve o-ring. If your pumps failing then it might need more than seals. :)

Still havnt removed the valve... lol
Not a priority at the moment. :)

gontix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S 3.8
Hey Azzfox, I know this is getting on a bit now, but I've just re-O'ringed mine (VR, but it looks the same). To get the valve out, you need to undo that 1inch (or 25mm) bolt were the high pressure line goes. Its normal thread (undo = counter clockwise) but its done up nice and tight. My manual says its 60-100Nm. Just put him in a vice, and hit your spanner with a block of wood. The O'rings on the other side of that bolt, so unless its leaking out of that bolt, I wouldn't bother even changing it.

Now a question for you. How did you manage to change the front shaft seal. I'm guessing you need to remove whats left of your front pully. And do I need a pully puller to do that?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Whoops forgot to report back, I did manage to remove the high pressure fitting. I took it to a mates place who has a propper vice but diddnt have a common metric socket to fit. We ended up breaking a shifter before realizing a 1inch socket fits perfectly. Managed to crack it with a breaker bar :).

For the shaft seal you firstly need to remove the shaft, and the only thing holding it on is a small circlip directly on the back of it (inside the pump). PITA to remove lol. But once thats off it should fall out. Then lever the old seal out with a screwdriver and install the new seal by tapping it in evenly with a soft hammer (or hammer and socket) until it sits flush to the opening.

gontix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S 3.8
lol, I did take the small circlip out but hadn't realized that was the only thing holding the shaft in. It must have been abit stuck or something. Oh, but there was another circlip right down at the base of the shaft (no way to remove it), I thought that one was holding it in, or is that just for the bearings?

Now I just have to decide weather to take it apart again lol (still on my bench). Did changing all the seals fix your leak? Cheers.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Other clirclip? Later model pumps might be different. Mine has no bearings. Its just one long bush with a spiral groove to circulate fluid through it.

My leak turned out to be a perished return line at the rack end. The hose just shrunk from age and the factory clamp doesnt tighten past a certain point. But new return line + clamps + resealed pump = not a single drop leaks!

gontix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S 3.8
Yea, must be different. Cheers for that anywayz...