Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering pump - seal replacement

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hey all, just thought while I have to take pump off soon that I may as well replace all the seals seeing the kits are cheap, and being a commodore it comes standard with a slow leak ;). But, my Gregorys manual says extensive knowledge is required and advises against it being done by a home mechanic. However, it shows an expanded diagram of the pump and it doesnt look very complicated.

Has anyone attempted to do it themselves?

V6 btw.

jared_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN exec S1
there is a tutorial in the how-to section that is pretty good. I rebuilt my pump in the S1 VN last week. Power steering is still leaking very badly tho. When you have to take the back of the pump off which is spring loaded make sure you push some wire or a small screw driver through the little hole on the outside of the pump. If i had known this before i did mine it could have saved me atleast 30 mins. Good luck and watch you don't round off the nut on the high pressure hose. i couldnt get it undone so i had to undo the end of the hose from the rack, pull it out and put the nut into a vice. Was pretty dam tight. All the best. Pm me if you got any questions.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Alright cool. Well I just ordered a seal kit off ebay so in the mean time gives me a chance to remove and clean the pump. :) Cheers for the help!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
But, my Gregorys manual says extensive knowledge is required and advises against it being done by a home mechanic.
Doesn't that just make you want to do it more?? Like you might have left it alone until you read that, then you just have to? I'm going to try to rebuild my next one I think, my fresh rebuild that I paid money for had a wobble in the shaft.. great.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Just thought I'd throw this up for all who are interested.

pump_diagram.jpg

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Well I managed to strip the pump and replace the seals a few days ago. Overall it wasnt too difficult. Very simple pumps. Hardest part is the small snap ring on the shaft (unless you have a snap ring remover). But only needs to be removed if youre replacing the seal on the very front of the shaft, which I did, not because it was leaking, but because a new one came with the seal kit :p.

But heres a quick Q to whoever has done it before:

In order to access the valve, Im guessing the 25mm outlet fitting has to be removed? I cant see it being any other way. And is it a right or left hand thread? Its a tight bastard and dont want to apply force in the wrong direction. :)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Azz, any special tools needed for rebuild? and did you find anywhere in particular had a decent kit well priced? My new pump is failing hard, that's another recond one..

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
small i have all the tools, let me know and u can borrow them