Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering pump wont budge

vs ute III

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
I need to change the alternator belt on my VS V8 so have to remove the power steering belt first.
Trouble is I can't move it either to loosen or tighten the belt?
I have loosened the bottom bolt at the back of the pump, which is a pain to get to as the ABS pipes get in the way.
I have also loosened the adjusting nut that is on the inside of the bracket, it tightens up to the curved slot.
The pump won't move. These are the only two that I think are required to be loosened.
As that failed I also tried loosening the rest of the bolts/nuts but still no movement.
Does anyone have any idea's?
Thanks.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If I'm not mistaken the PS pump is fixed in the bracket and the bracket is slotted where it bolts to the head. Loosen off the bolts where the bracket bolts to the head, soak with some WD40 (or similar) and then see if the bracket will move.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
There are three nuts that have to be loosened. None of them are any way near to the ABS pipes. Refer to the diagram below. Note the two nuts that are identified as "adjusting nuts". The third one is where it connects to the battery earth.

1654160474266.png

vs ute III

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Thanks for the advice. I was trying to move the pump with in the bracket. I should have realised that the slot was actually on the bracket, so therefore it's the bracket that gets adjusted.
I am going to attack it now.

All done. Ended up replacing the power steering belt as well. It had some small cracks that were not obvious while on the car.

Thanks again.

Last edited: