Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering rack end thread differences?

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
So i fitted a new rack into my car as mine was rooted.

Anyway after completing the install i noticed my old tie rod ends wouldnt fit as the thread was wrong. So i went to Bursons and picked up a set of new ones with a matching thread.

Im told there are 2 different kinds and the only difference is the thread size on the shafts.

Now my issue is that the rack and tie rod ends did not come with locking nuts, so the wheel alignment wont hold in place. a quick call to bursons they tell me these special racks dont need locking nuts and never come with them...WRONG.... im good mates with many mechanics and they all say it HAS to have a locking nut which makes sense as it just flops around without a locking nut..

So What series rack has the finer thread? as my old rack was a larger thread then this new one. And where the hell can i get a set of locking nuts from. I went to holden and they knew nothing about it and only had 1 type of nut on there database which i have ordered in for 70 cents to try it.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Well according to your ride information you have a VT Series 2. This makes me believe that the rack you have must come from a VT Series 1. VT series 2 racks are the same as VX and VX series 2. Best thing you can do is call wreckers and ask them if they have a VT Series 1 with a knackered steering rack that you can take the nuts off.

Go and ask Holden for a set of Tie Rod Lock Nuts to suit a VT Series 1 if they don't know what you're talking about ask them to show you the parts breakdown on their screen and point it out to them. I actually think you might be better off with a parts wholesaler such as Coventrys. Holden never know what they're talking about when it comes to spare parts.

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
yeah i worked out from my workshop manuals that VS - VT series 1 are the same racks then VT series 2 to VX series 2 are the same.

Only difference being the thread sizes. But it says the finer thread is the newer one as its a finer adjustment or something? But i dont see why my car would of had a series 1 rack in it. As i know now the finer thread which is a pain in the ass to find a nut for lol.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Maybe the rack you put in was from a Series 1? Or it's been replaced before. How many K's has the car done?

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
All sorted now, the new rack was a series 2 rack, so new tie rod ends fitted and got a set of locking nuts from national power steering in dandy.

All bolted up and got a wheel alignment today. drives good as new once again.

And for the record, car has now done 172,000k but had a series 1 rack fitted, it also had a series 1 radiator which i found out when i replaced it to series 2 to find it didnt make use of the oil cooler on both sides of the radiator. Going to fit a tranny cooler at the front neways.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Possibly the car was crashed and repaired at some point using a series 1 VT as a donor car. Steering rack and radiator are pretty commonly damaged in crashes.