Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Return Line Hose Clamps

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Hi all. I recently replaced the power steering pump in my 5 litre VQ. I doing this its return hose developed a leak from a split in the lower section where it joins the steel pipe to the rack.
I've removed the hose but two jubilee screw clamps on the lower join were almost impossible to access.
From memory I've seen plastic wire ties used as clamps on the steering low pressure hose. Has anyone successfully used plastic wire ties as clamps on this hose or are their clamps available that are easier to get on and off than jubilee screw clamps?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Don't use plastic they will fail from the heat. It's either worm drive or spring type metal hose clamps

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Spring clamps are a good idea, I can probably get access for pliers to fit the clamps between the K frame and the hose. Just have to find a retail level supplier.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I used worm drive clamps on my VN with the nut instead of screw types.
IIRC i used a extension bar on the socket to clear brake MC.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks Harry, I had screw clamps but there is limited horizontal space between the exhaust manifold and the chassis on my car. Spring clamps can be fitted from underneath using pliers with a vertical access space.
Spring clips are almost unobtainable these days. Went to Repco and Bursons before finding four left amongst unpriced old stock at Autobarn.