Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering to hard to turn

bigjas

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim s/w
hi i was just going to ask if anyone knows y my power steering is soooooo hard to turn when i m not moveing but when i start to move about 5 km its works fine i have a vr calais 93 model i have replaced the power steering pump and it helped a little bit but still hard to turn .

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
As whisky says, sounds very much like a steering rack problem. The speed sensitive steering in the Calais has a part that apparently deteriorates over time. Changeover rack is the easiest fix. Of course, that assumes your power steering belt has been adjusted correctly and isn't slipping at idle/low revs.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i've been told that over time trans fluid leaves a hard varnish like coating over everything inside trannies etc when it gets old, same goes for the power steering as the trans fluid can get quiet hot in there. my VS power steering whines a bit, i just put clean fluid in it, run it a bit and do it again to flush the old shite out. i do this over a few weeks to really give it a good clean and it definitly sounds better now. unfortunatly power steering pumps do seem to fail a lot on the commodores

bigjas

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim s/w
thank u

i've been told that over time trans fluid leaves a hard varnish like coating over everything inside trannies etc when it gets old, same goes for the power steering as the trans fluid can get quiet hot in there. my VS power steering whines a bit, i just put clean fluid in it, run it a bit and do it again to flush the old shite out. i do this over a few weeks to really give it a good clean and it definitly sounds better now. unfortunatly power steering pumps do seem to fail a lot on the commodores

yes i have found out what it might be its rack is i have be told bye holden

bigjas

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim s/w
thank u

hi i found out the rack is buggered by holden thank u