Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power take-off point for accessories.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have a strong aversion to having power cables draped from dashcams or GPS units hanging down to power points in the console.

Usually, the leads aren't long enough to be stowed behind windscreen trims and down pillars to reach the socket and my car isnt suited to setting the accessories on top of the dash.

However, I have an overhead console fitted with dome and maplights. The front of the console has a vertical surface immediately behind the mirror which would easily accommodate power sockets like a USB. If I fitted a couple of USB sockets there, with power fed from the dome lamp I could shorten the leads by about 90 percent and the sockets are out of sight from the driver's seat.

Can the power leads for accessories be converted safely to a USB fitting, keeping in mind that deleting the normal power plug also deletes the fuse?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I've seen a few of the USB/Lighter outlets you can get which gets installed with an inline fuse recently in a few trucks ive worked on.
So I would say you could probably get something similar for the supplies.
(mind you, we accidently blew it up while in a fuel depot) :oops:

does depend on how you would convert from the current power supply to the usb outlet. if it is like a phone charger which is actually a usb that goes into the charger that plugs into the wall itll be fine.
might mean sourcing a few cables or figuring out how to cut and adapt to a usb fitting.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I bought a duel outlet power socket from Supercheap and hard wired onto the smokers pack socket behind the console. The duel socket has about 300mm of cable and i have run the dash cam cable behind windscreen trim and gps cable behind the console which frees up the power socket in the console plus i also have the additional fuse in the duel socket

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 115