Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power train control module replacement

seano87

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Acclaim Wagon
Hi all, my vz alloytec logged the code U0101- lost communication with tcm. Original symptoms were; speedo stopped working, transmission display stuck on P for park no matter what gear selected, auto seems to be stuck in 3rd gear when driving in drive. My auto elec seems to think the power train control module is faulty but he said he can't replace it because of all the Holden protocols blocking him (passwords pin codes etc?) So my question is, is there anyone out there located in or around Melbourne that has the know how to help me with this? I don't really want to take it to Holden and get the bag ripped out of me and probably not solve the problem anyway! Any suggestions would help!! Cheers!

Rob Jeeves

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve v6
Hi all, my vz alloytec logged the code U0101- lost communication with tcm. Original symptoms were; speedo stopped working, transmission display stuck on P for park no matter what gear selected, auto seems to be stuck in 3rd gear when driving in drive. My auto elec seems to think the power train control module is faulty but he said he can't replace it because of all the Holden protocols blocking him (passwords pin codes etc?) So my question is, is there anyone out there located in or around Melbourne that has the know how to help me with this? I don't really want to take it to Holden and get the bag ripped out of me and probably not solve the problem anyway! Any suggestions would help!! Cheers!

hi ya,
im having the exact same problem with my ve commodore.
code: u0101 Loss of communication to the tcm.
did you get the transmission control module replaced? and f so how much did it cost?
cheers Rob

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Get in touch with Envyous customs. He might be able to pair the replacement TCM with what you have.

Pacray52

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF sedan
hi ya,
im having the exact same problem with my ve commodore.
code: u0101 Loss of communication to the tcm.
did you get the transmission control module replaced? and f so how much did it cost?
cheers Rob
I did as same prob. I could have got my own control mod but left it to auto tech. Cost 990 but now have extra issue with front input speed sensor.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I'm going to suggest the problem may well have been the TCM all along. It may well also be a loose connection in a plug, or chaffed/ damaged harness.

Pacray52

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF sedan
I was considering that although i am not so litterate with car comp, but its been partly done and just want the input speed sensor working. I believe the sensor is inside the bellhousing of the box but the lead sits on top left outside box. I cannot seem to find enough pics or vids regarding these as what i see is chev boxes for all cars accept commodore above 2005. Sensors seem to be in different spots on other brand cars.