Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Train Light

gyp23

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Hi folks

Just curious if any of you have experienced this before, or perhaps know what the heck is going wrong with our 98 VT Exec 3.8L auto

Yesterday we took the car for a rather slow drive around town, averaging around 20-40km an hour for 30 minutes. Usually the car is driven between the Blue Mountains & Sydney so it gets a decent amount of long distance work.

Anyway, after yesterday's slow drive, I noticed that the Power Train light came on. The temp guage was at about half. Drove it straight home and lifted the bonnet (completely pointless as I had no idea what I was looking for!) but I just made sure that the serpentine belt was fine and dandy.

This morning, I turned the key and it started, but stalled within a few seconds. Same thing happened again. Third time lucky, I planted my foot and made it sit in Neutral at 1.5k revs for about 10 seconds. I then took my foot off the accellerator and it idled at 500 revs - waaay lower than usual - I think it usually sits around 1000?

Anyway, this power train light hasn't gone off, and the idling issue remains. Hopefully someone out there can give me a few pointers on where to start looking, or who to start calling!

Cheers,
Georgia

PS: A few days ago I had to have the car towed to the auto-elecs as the ignition barrel collapsed. Yep, it's been fun - but wondering if there's anything they could have buggered up to cause this problem?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Im guessing the IAC valve (idle air control),it should idle at about 750 rpm. When the engine warning light comes on it registers a fault code. If you don't know how to read the fault codes take it to Holden and they will do it, or buy a workshop manual and you will be able to do it yourself.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
First place to start is by checking fault codes that are stored in your computer. There is a 16 pin plug under your steering column. You get a short piece of wire poke one end in terminal6 and the other end in terminal5 then the check engine light should start flashing fault codes. There should be a link on this forum somewhere explaining the whole process in more detail.

gyp23

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Thanks Tree cutter! I'll be sure to check for fault codes as soon as I get home. Meanwhile, not having much luck finding out how to do it on this forum (short of your terminal6 to terminal 5 rundown) for VTs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's quite a long explanation that is why I suggested a manual, but I'll give it a go.
After bridging teminals 5 & 6, turn ignition on. The engine light will flash once, short pause then 2 flashes. This means 12, 1st group of flashes represents 10's, second group of flashes represents units. It always starts with 12, 3 times. Each code is displayed 3 times followed by a longer pause before the next code. So after 12 flashes 3 times it will move on to the next code ( eg 4 flashes followed by 2 flashes= 42). After all the codes have been displayed it will flash 12 again.
I hope you can understand my explanation. When you get the codes, reply and tell me what they are and I will tell you what they mean.
If you only get code 12, that indicates there are no fault codes.

Last edited:

gyp23

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
OK I found out a way to get all of the fault codes via the hidden VT trip computer. Where do I now find out what these codes translate to?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
The trip computer doesn't display fault codes as far as I know. Follow the instructions I just posted.

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
ok i got codes in this order 32 46 67 81 82

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
the codes are 32 46 67 81 82 thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
32: Air flow sensor (voltage out of range)
46 Crank angle reference signal (engine will not start)
67, 81 and 82 are all automatic transmission fault codes.