Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power upgrade

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Hey everyone,

I’m looking to complete a upgrade for power with a Intake and tune on the LS3, it’s already got 1 7/8 headers and 3” hurricane exhaust. I’ve been quoted about $1300 which seems good value for around 300rwkw.

I’m tossing up whether to do a cam upgrade at the same time for the extra power and lumpy idle, roughly how much extra is a cam upgrade to prevent paying for a tune twice, and what cam would most reccomend for a really lumpy idle but also don’t want to lose all bottom end.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Cost will depends on what size cam you decide on, entry level will require at a minimum valve springs, cam gear, bolts, retainers and gaskets and possibly pushrods and lifters which you’ll definitely need with a higher lift cam.

I’d be budgeting $5K for an entry level which would include the tune.

You already have big headers and exhaust so going a bigger cam will be easy.

If you want lumpy go with a low LSA but really you need to talk to your tuner as they will be able to cater a package to suit your needs better than forum speculation.

Last edited:

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I really find it hard to justify $5k+ for a tiny bit more power and a worse sound but each to their own (flame suit on)

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
if your just after a lumpy idle the tuner will be able to do this for you with the standard cam

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I really find it hard to justify $5k+ for a tiny bit more power and a worse sound but each to their own (flame suit on)

Each to their own, there’s nothing wrong with your opinion on the subject and you’ll have a lot of people agree with you, as there will also be people who can’t see the sense of adding something as basic as an aftermarket exhaust and tune.

As far as cost versus output goes, unfortunately horsepower cost money and as you progress up the ladder towards the pointy end the harder and ridiculously costlier it becomes.

I don’t think $5K for a cam swap it too bad given a lot of people pay that just for exhaust, CAI and tune.

Do the whole package in one hit and you’ll save some money.

Forced induction is often a better route as you have a less look at me final outcome compared to the theatricals of some cams but F.I. isn’t cheap.

Regardless of it being a cam, stroker or F.I., as the power increases you then need to start adding the cost of reliability and look at strengthen up the internals from top to bottom.

More money, more money, more money.

I understand the sense of forced induction as a good way to make power without being in your face but I do love noisy, smelly cams and always tend to gravitate that way.

In most cases I may not be able to keep pace with an F.I car but on the street it doesn’t matter but being a bit extroverted is what I like my cars to be about, I’ve owned a few turbo cars and not once have I ever had someone walk up to me on the street and say what turbos are you running but I’ve had countless times people have said, wow what cam is that?

As I said each to their own as some people like to stay stock, some like to go full tilt, some just add rims and tyres, some also lower or add catbacks as the car game isn’t all about power and it definitely isn’t about common sense.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Cost will depends on what size cam you decide on, entry level will require at a minimum valve springs, cam gear, bolts, retainers and gaskets and possibly pushrods and lifters which you’ll definitely need with a higher lift cam.

I’d be budgeting $5K for an entry level which would include the tune.

You already have big headers and exhaust so going a bigger cam will be easy.

If you want lumpy go with a low LSA but really you need to talk to your tuner as they will be able to cater a package to suit your needs better than forum speculation.

Fair enough, was looking to spend max 3-4K so might just go the intake and tune for $1300, thanks for the advice

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
1500 for cam and spring package, 150 for oil/filter and coolant, 600 for intake, 500 for a tune, 1000 for labour (guess)

$3750

I done my cam swap myself to save on labour, all up including the tune was about $2500. Went from 298kw to 340kw.. best money I have spent on it so far!

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Fair enough, was looking to spend max 3-4K so might just go the intake and tune for $1300, thanks for the advice
GM motorsport in Vic have special ATM 3k drive in and out for cam

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
GM motorsport in Vic have special ATM 3k drive in and out for cam

Long way from Mackay though! He'll blow his budget in juice just getting there...;)