Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Window Failure

Verillius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Vacationer Wagon
Finally somewhere that might be able to help, have been searching for ages and nada.

The deal is the power windows (only front windows are powered) have been temperemental for a while, but they finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and I have been unable to opperate either to wind them up. Prior to their falure I just had to stop the engine and restart the car and they would come back, but at this stage even this doesn't work. I need some help here, could it be a dry connection somewhere, or a dud fuse?

Any help would be life saving here...

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
A common fault is for the power window module solder joints to go faulty .You need to pull it apart and run a soldering iron over them around the relays where they are soldered to the board.The module itself is to the left of the steering column under the swingdown cover held in by 2 clips.
The actual switches themselves sometimes play up but not usually both of them at the same time as they are separate units.
Also another place could be the circuit breaker in fuse 5 but that is unlikely...it is more likely to be the module.
Here's a picture of the printed circuit board showing the suspect joints.
I have a spare if you get stuck but a soldering iron and a bit of solder should fix it if that is the problem you can also add a piece of copper wire (you can see it in the picture) between the 3 solder connections to increase their chances of not happenning again
In later VP models the wire was added factory.

Attachments

• win mod fault.jpg
    win mod fault.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 3,605
Last edited:

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Thanks Markovr,

Tried this hint on my module and now my windows works all the time.

cheers

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
How would ya go bout getting to the circuit breaker in fuse 5? My fuse blew and now i blows as soon as i put a fuse in it cheers

mickVPace

Virtually Perfect
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BERLINA
thanks for this!

NZbatman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5.0L V8 & VR 3.8
I assume I might have the same problem, I have a VN Calais and for a while now the 4 windows have been intermittent in going up and down, occassionally caught out at the shopping centre with the window and wont go up, 5 minutes later after removing the key and going back they work, last week they have stopped completely. None of them will go down at al. Would this be due to this module you have been discussing at all? Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers Garry

VP UTE MICK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute
My VL calais windows and central locking were working fine.... it got a flat battery so i had it on charge now the windows and central locking dont worl aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

NZbatman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5.0L V8 & VR 3.8
Just wanted to say thanks for the advice and the picture, had a go at it and all windows are working like a charm again. Very much appreciated indeed.

Tim NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Hey guys, well its the week of asking for help for me ! Ive got a VN Calais that only the passenger front window will roll down.... the drivers side front throws the motor but as its up already doesnt wind ... it sure wont wind down though ! and neither of the rear go down either (drivers rear has power to it from the front switch but does nothing). A mate called in tonight and we tried the module out of his Executive and it didnt work AT ALL ?! is there a trick to these ? mine didnt work at all in his either ... my module has two serial numbers on it and his has three.... the first two are the same as mine but the top one is crossed out (looks like someone has scratched a screwdriver through it). Any ideas ? thanks in advance guys

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Lock out switch is on for the rears?