Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power window issue

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Hey everybody,

Having a problem with my driver's side power window on my WH, it will only go down in increments, but goes up perfectly. I have pulled apart the master switchblock and cleaned the contacts for the switch but it made no difference.

This is doing my head in, can anyone please shed some light on what's happening?

Cheers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
big problem on these cars is the wiring in the door wiring boot. They often break.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
big problem on these cars is the wiring in the door wiring boot. They often break.

I quickly checked that out last night, it was very tightly wrapped in tape and didn't look like it had broken?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
What was wrapped in tape? The rubber boot or the wire inside the boot?

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
What was wrapped in tape? The rubber boot or the wire inside the boot?

The wires inside the boot, do you think it's possible for the wires to brake inside the tape after years of using the driver's door?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The fact that it is taped indicates that wires had broken before and the repair might have been a bit dodgy. Remove the tape and check the wiring.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
The fact that it is taped indicates that wires had broken before and the repair might have been a bit dodgy. Remove the tape and check the wiring.

It just doesn't look like something that's been tampered with, it looks like it's factory wrapped if that makes sense.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I see, it's been a while since I've looked at the wiring in the rubber boot so I can't really remember. It is still possible for a wire break though.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Alright, so far I've cleaned the contacts on my current master switch, then replaced it all together with a new switch block and that didn't make a difference so it's definitely not that.

I pulled the driver's door trim off again and checked out the wiring in the door/rubber boot joining to the car and the wiring looks fine.

After doing some research on here, it seems like it's a common issue - being that when I try to put the window down it will go down 1cm then stop, which I believe is the auto-down function not working as it should.

I checked out the fuses and the driver's window relay was missing, I purchased a new one from Holden and fitted it but it's still not working, how do I go about bypassing the BCM/relay all together?

Or should I just replace the regulator?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Mate, I'm laying money on wiring in the drivers door boot. You know what I would do? I would try running some heavy gauge wire from the switch directly to the motor....