Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power window knocking

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Not sure when I say 'rivets' you and I are talking about the same things? The 4 rivets i'm referring to are the ones being drilled out in this pic:
Note that in a vs door the rivets should be bigger than this, about 18mm as I said earlier. Is this what you're talking about also or the two metal guides which the arms run in? If that makes sense?
Is it possible for you to get any pictures at all?

Attachments

• Door%20drill[1].JPG
    Door%20drill[1].JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 265

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
Nah I know about those 4, checked them earlier like you said and they all seem fine.
Im talking about the metal guides which arms run in...

Ive added both pics, notice how in the second how it bends outwards after the window has been lowered?

Attachments

• 28-05-09_1313.jpg
    28-05-09_1313.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 28-05-09_1314.jpg
    28-05-09_1314.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 180

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
So the arm that is bending is the top one in the pic that runs in the guide on the bottom of the glass? On the end of the arms there is a white plastic guide block. I connects to the arm with a ball and socket type joint. Does this joint all move around freely without any resistance? Is this the part you recently replaced? Also does this white plastic block have any tight spots when sliding in the metal guide?

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
Yes it was the part I replaced, and yep spot on, has the "tight spots" when sliding in the metal guide (thats what I was trying to point out) -["i got it all the way to the bottom without a bang if i let it go down slowly as the teeth just gets overwhelmed on the way down i think and cant move across the slider quickly enough to keep up..."] ...sorry wasnt very clear though now that i re- read that.

so yes its the top arm that is bending, with tight spots as it moves across the metal guide

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Oh ok I understand now. Im surprised it hasn't been causing you trouble since first replaced. I suppose it could be one of a few things then. Did you grease the ball and socket joint of the white plastic block to ensure it can rotate freely. Is there any damage at all to the metal guide on the bottom of the window glass (such as a burr, little dent or anything else that would cause a change in the width of the track etc)? Is there a build up of grit/contamination stuck in the grease in the slide working against the movement like sandpaper?

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
I cant see any damage I ran a screwdriver along it to feel for any imperfections, it felt smooth...and if there were imperfections in the metal guide, wouldnt it be noticed on the way up too? As it travels perfectly when putting the window up(till u get to the stop where it cant go further and it just bangs) but yeah its just going down that the main problem
......the grease is now kind of runny due to the WD40 ha..

I dont recall greasing the ball and socket joint of the white plastic block...perhaps this is the problem, but surely it would have gave me problems from the start like u said? this is really annoying me now.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
What about the arms themselves. Are they slightly bent at all, allowing them to rub against each other as the window is lowered?

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
took the ****ed rubber seal out...was working fine....then the ****in window has come off like last time but none of the teeth are snapped like last time....eh time for a mechanic to have a look i think.... gonna go try put the glass back in now tho

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
well glass is back in, it is going down freely now but when it gets to the bottom it snaps off, as if theres nothing to stop it, is this because that rubber seal is no longer there to stop it or?
p.s. thanks for ur help today cander, big help mate

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Which rubber seal are you referring to? The ones that run vertical with the window frame? Also when you say it 'snaps off' do you mean the white plastic block is coming off the arm or the whole arm is moving too far and drops out of the guide?