Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power window knocking

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
Hey,

A few months back my driver door power window had one of the white "teeth" parts that hold the regulator to the slide bit at the bottom of the glass, snap, and therefore the window fell through into the door. I replaced that and everything was going smoothly till a few days ago.

If I try to put the window down it will bang as if its under pressure and then will go down further and then bang again and then it will keep going down smoothly. Is smooth on the return up till you hit the top of the door and instead of stopping normally it will continue to make that horrible banging sound...its just a really loud sort of clicking if I hold the button down...any ideas what it could be before I go pulling the door trim off?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
2 things come to mind.

1. i was thinking that some teeth in the regulator itself are broken. which then didnt make sense when u wind the window up its not skipping.

2. some of the rivits have sheard off, in which case replace it with 5mm bolts that are around 20-25mm long.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yeap and you'll also notice that they are missing from the reg mount points on the door

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
Ok ive finally got a day off to try and fix this ****er.
Took the door trim off and I've discovered this at the bottom of the door...see pic attached.

I believe ephect was right and that this is one of the sheared off rivits?? Can anyone can confirm this for me...and whether the bolts i need are 5mm?

Hopefully I can get this fixed today! thanks

Attachments

• 28-05-09_1122.jpg
    28-05-09_1122.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 286

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Its a bit hard to tell, but the parts in the pic almost look a bit too big to be the head of a rivet. From memory they should be around 18mm diameter. Have a look at the inner door skin where the regulator fixes to it. Originally it is fixed with 4 rivets. Check that they are all still in place and maybe even grab hold of the motor and see if you can move it around to see if any of the rivets are even just a bit loose. And yes i'm pretty sure 5mm bolts will fit straight in without any mods once the remains of the rivet is drilled out, I drilled mine out to 8mm. Make sure you use nyloc nuts too if this is the problem. Otherwise you can also still by the genuine rivets from holden spare parts.

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
Mate Im baffled because all the rivets are still in place, and nothing appears loose...where the hell did these things(in the pic) come from?

edit: i think its the washer and seal on the regulator arm..

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Not sure. They don't look like any part or fixing i've ever come across in a vs door so i'd be guessing they're not related (beats me how they ended up in there though). Have you inspected all of the teeth on both the drive gear on the motor and also on the regulator arm that it drives? Whats the condition of the slides and all other moving parts, all well greased and moving freely? Does the window track straight?

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
Ive figured out whats happening I think. As I put the window down the regulator arm is bending, as the "teeth" that is sliding across is not freely sliding and the arm has to work against it, and therefore bends making the banging noise... its all lubricated well though I'm still baffled lol... I'll go have another look...any more ideas would be great mate but yeah I believe its to do with the regulator arm too

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
The arm kinda bends away from the rivet thing holding it to the teeth when going down (is it meant to do that?) and then it will straighten back up when window is going back up and will continue going up smoothly as opposed to going down where there is the occasional knock, then continues...

the teeth look fine as ive replaced one before that was snapped... its all lubricated too... do u think that the rivet holding the teeth and regulator arm together is stuffed or just the arm in general? i got it all the way to the bottom without a bang if i let it go down slowly as the teeth just gets overwhelmed on the way down i think and cant move across the slider quickly enough to keep up with the window...

also the window will kind of angle itself on the way down then straigten back up when it comes up if that helps