Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Window Problem

3800SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais 3.8 Supercharged
I was wondering if someone may be able to help me work out what the problem is with my power windows. I have a VX Calais Series 2 with power windows that stop working every so often. The windows all stop working for 30 - 60 seconds and then they start working again. I have replaced the switches form the centre console. It seems the switches are still working as if I press the button, you can see the dash lights dim at night but the windows don't work. I was hoping someone may have had this problem before and knows how to fix it. I have checked the fuses and relays and they all seem to be good. I am not sure if it is a wiring problem or issue with BCM. Hopefully someone who has had this issue could shed some light on it.

Last edited:

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
Does the switch illumination go off when the windows stop working? They are illuminated by the same power feed as the windows themselves so that would be an indication if the problem is before or after the switch itself.

According to the manual, fuse F1 (power windows) is actually a breaker. So I'd expect it's breaking the circuit, cooling down after 30-60 seconds then resetting.
F2 is the power seats breaker, both are rated at 20A, try swapping them around and see what happens.

3800SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply. I will look into it. The illumination is still on the master switches but it seems to dim when the button is pressed when it is not working. I really thought the fuse would show some signs of wear or a break if it was faulty but if it is actually a breaker and tripping it might be worth changing. Another thing is my speakers on my radio seem to be playing up, they sometimes cut out and then come back in which makes me question if it all can be related to something else like the BCM. The reason I did not worry about this being related too much was because I have an aftermarket stereo using a cheap wiring harness. If it was hardwired I would think it was more likely to be related to the same issue.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
I'd be surprised if it's BCM related since it only drives relays. But electricals are strange sometimes.
No-one spilled beer in the power window switch at some point did they? :D

3800SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Electrical problems are really strange and Holdens seem to have quite a few. I love the car but problem like this really get my goat. I don't want to go to an Auto electrician and have them butcher my wiring to find out the issue was something else. I just switched the breakers to see if it makes a difference. I didn't know the Dominican Republic was renowned for there making of circuit breakers. Most issues are pretty easy to sort out but when you get a strange one like this. I want to sort out these weird bug so I can move to making a couple of nice mods to my Supercharged Calais. It is a shame these Holdens have such poor transmissions, I have been through a couple of autos in my time. I think this auto might be a bit better than the one on the standard six.