Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Windows Issue

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Ok, so power windows have stopped working. All of them stopped at the same time and the lights on the switches have stopped working.

What makes it somewhat weird, is the windows stopped working for a moment, then started working again, and have now stopped working all together so I dont think its the fuses or the relays, but have checked them nontheless.

Any ideas?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
sounds like a relay, got a spare one to swap over, if they all stop working and then come back there's obviously a single weak point somewhere, even fuses can go faulty. Id still suggest changing them over.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
have you tryed using all the switches.. incl the ones on the rear door?? to make sure its not the drivers main switch?? just a thought..

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Of course I tried the other switches.

The1, I swapped the relays over and they didnt work. I managed to pull out the fuse and it looked fine, but havent actually changed it. Someone suggested it may also be a loose battery connection but I tried tighening them up and they wont budge.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
i know with a tech1 scantool you can test the windows out from the scantool itself. Other than that id start testing stuff with a multimeter to see where this is and isnt' voltage, test at the fuse socket first, then work way through to the window motors etc. Or even a test light if you have one.

hsv-maloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu maloo
i know with a tech1 scantool you can test the windows out from the scantool itself. Other than that id start testing stuff with a multimeter to see where this is and isnt' voltage, test at the fuse socket first, then work way through to the window motors etc. Or even a test light if you have one.

make sure the main switch plug is in firm,, they dont usually come out, but you never know, if all dont work, have to work forward,, could be the BCM :(

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
The lights in the switches are powered by the same power feed as the switches themselves, obviously indicating it's a power supply problem between the fuse box and the switches.

According to the wiring diagram, power goes through fuse FJ, F1 then the power window relay. It also looks like if F20 is blown then the power window relay won't energise.

If the fuses look good, I'd get the multimeter into the fuse sockets and work your way back.

I'd think if it were a battery terminal problem you'd have a lot of other stuff not working too.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
inside the power windows switches a deposit builds on the terminals take the switches apart and clean (fairly easy remove switch using a screw driver carefully pry the unit apart tilting towards the front of the switch set once you hit about a 15 degree angle put all the switches to an up position and remove then carefully use a flat head screw driver to take each switch apart clean the contacts on the switches and then reassemble in the same way you took it apart ) or you can replace them this may work

please note it is not recomended that you take them apart but it may work if not you havent lost anything except for time.

3800SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais 3.8 Supercharged
I have a VX II Calais with a similar issue. All of my power windows randomly stop working and start again 30 - 60 seconds later. I replaced the master switch, fuses and relays but still have the same issue. I am not sure where the issue lies. I can change the fuses and relays again but I can't understand why the issue comes and goes on a daily basis. Would anyone have any idea what might be causing the problem? I have not changed the rear switches yet but could give it a go. I wonder if there is a common location on these cars where there are issues with wiring. The fact that it happens to all windows would indicate there is a central problem, such as the rear of the fuse box. If I press the switches on the master switch, the lights on them do dim indicating the button is actually working. It is a very strange problem but I don't really want to go to an Auto Electrician as I prefer to fix things myself. If I can't get it resolved soon, I may have to go and get it looked at.