Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Windows need fixing

racingdriver05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Commodore Sedan
Hi
I dont post on forums ever, but until now haven't needed to, but I cant ever work on my car cause I have had broken back in 6 places...and Iam a old guy.

Ok so who do I even go to, my windows are out of their channels and I have got them back up, the electrics are fine, I have a good mechanic but he takes 3 weeks to get in because I live in Gladstone where the mechanics are Morons, so I took it to Windsreens O'Brien because they are trained technicians so they could put glass in right, No they cant do it probably cause the windows not broken so they say take it to the Dealer, er NO I say then an Auto Electrician they say, and I ask my cousin who use to be a Panel Beater and he says take it to a Panel Shop they do it all the time, so iam back thinking if I need to get the clips and regulators off Ebay to take it to my mechanic (theres 9 of them) in the one place, very in demand cz there good and cheap...the parts are also cheap online about $110 for a reg and they come with clips, but clips by them solves are $56 and both regs are good but clips are smashed, sorry for the stupid questions iam a car guy who should know this, Tony

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
No Questions are Stupid, If you don't know you ask, that's how we learn. ;)

So only the Regulators just need replacing ?
And do you have them ?
What are the Clips you are talking about ?
If you have all the gear, its should be an easy fix.

Last edited:

racingdriver05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Commodore Sedan
Hi krusing
Sorry for my late reply...the both Regulators work but since the new ones come with the "white clips" or "guides" as there known go in the channel rails, they clip onto the ball on the regulator hence why I call them clips, there is 12 all up 3 on each reg to guide the window, I wont be doing the job, but if I dont need to supply anything that's good as long as Jamie's panel shop doesnt want to order the parts at Holden, and the job costs me $2000 for a $5000 car, the rear regulators work and all power to all windows, the plastic clips/guides on the front windows are probably ready to snap, since I try not to power them down, but car sits in the sun a lot, the back windows dont get used much so I guess that's why they broke, I tried to save the front two by using silicone spray on the door window guides, but the window sits on top on the outside of the door window frame for aerodynamic purposes unlike say a HQ holden where the windows are sandwiched in between the frame when the window is up, all the silicone did was get all over the glass and not lube much, also when they drill the regs out because they have rivets, they have to the replace them with screws and lube the channels with lithium grease, the car otherwise is fine with the few normal VZ issues.

Thanks for all your advice guys

Tony

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
The 'clips' bust because dirt accumulates in that sort of velvet stuff at the top of the door. Which swells it up. Or at least mine did here, where dust is a major issue. The metal tracks the windows run in were not the issue. I scrubbed everything clean with a lot of soapy water - about a pound of dirt came out. I just rebuilt the old clips with fibreglass. Windows have opened and shut easily and the clips have been under no stress since.