Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power windows on one side not working?

gazzabrizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV
power windows vt clubsport passenger side not working .
just wondering what is normally the fault of this . is it normally the main switches in centre console . and is it easy to remove and replace.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
I just replaced my LHR window motor, traced the problem back to the motor not working. Cost $75 for a new motor, and $25 for a switch which was also broken too :(

Getting the motor out will take u approx 10-15 mins, theyre rivvetted in pretty tight. Just watch out if u put a new motor in... mine vibrated against the door chassis- just put a put of fabric there to stop it.

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Try replacing the switch 1st and see how you go, im going to have to replace mine soon enough, the left hand passenger side
is a bit tempremental at times. Me thinks the connections are a bit stuffed, but it still works for now :)

VTW@G0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT WAGON 3.8L N/A
Gday all
i have a VT Exec II with full electrics.
My drivers window was very tempremental. It would normally go down perfect, but sometimes it wouldn't come up at all and other times if i held the button up and jiggled it it would work.
Popped out the switch box from the dash , pulled that apart and WD40 the switces to get some crud out, metho on cotton tips to clean the contact points, and while i had it apart i popped the switched apart and greased the switch pivot point (to make it pivot up/down).
Tested before clicking it back into dash to make sure it worked - sweet as.
Try this before buying new switches or motors.

Cheers.

vxexec350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder/VX Exec LS1/VN Berlina 5.0
VTW@G0n said:
Gday all
i have a VT Exec II with full electrics.
My drivers window was very tempremental. It would normally go down perfect, but sometimes it wouldn't come up at all and other times if i held the button up and jiggled it it would work.
Popped out the switch box from the dash , pulled that apart and WD40 the switces to get some crud out, metho on cotton tips to clean the contact points, and while i had it apart i popped the switched apart and greased the switch pivot point (to make it pivot up/down).
Tested before clicking it back into dash to make sure it worked - sweet as.
Try this before buying new switches or motors.

Cheers.

Yep good advise. I actually replaced the console switches on mine and then found how easy servicing them is. My old ones are now in my sons VT as his were trashed by a dog. All the switces for power windows in VT/VX/VU are as easy to service. DO that B4 spending money

randomroen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
Does that mean the "power windows" dont work on the front and rear passenger side? Or just the front?

Try swapping the switch with another one and see how you go. Failing that, remove the door trim and check the voltage motor while operating the switch. If voltage IS reaching the motor then the motor might be stuffed, or moving parts might be caught or need lubricating.

If there is NO voltage at the motor check the relay for earthing, and that there's voltage reaching the relay when the switch is operated, etc..

gazzabrizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV
is it fairly easy to get the main centre console switches out . dont want to break anything . any advice would be great before tackling this . will try clean of contacts

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You just prise the switches out of the console with a screwdriver wrapped in cloth so you don't scratch anything.

gazzabrizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV
yes got main swiches out. do i need to get inner case where cicuitboard is out to clean switch contacts and to change over swithches to check if thats problem . a little scared of breaking something

Last edited: