Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Windows (VN)

MILD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais - 355, Powerglide, 9"
I'm in the process of repairing three no longer working power windows in my VN.

So far I have tried cleaning the central switch blocks with no result. I also tested for power at the plug and have 11.5 volts.

Figuring the problem isn't with the wiring or the switch block itself, I have removed the driver's rear regulator, pulled everything apart, given it all a good clean and regrease and tried it at the plug before reinstallation. I thought I was on a winner given the poor state of the main cog and drive shaft of the motor- it looked like the grease had turned to dust.

When I tried the regulator I had movement- pretty rapid movement too. In my excitement I wound it all the way up and all the way down again a handful of times and just as I claimed success the damn thing stopped working again.

When I hit the switch the interior light dims which I am guessing suggests that there is a problem with the motor as there is no dimming when I operate the window that actually works. Also the body of the motor gets a little warm.

Is there anything else I can try or is it safe to say it's time to look for a new motor. If that's the case, can anyone suggest a cheap option?

MILD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais - 355, Powerglide, 9"
Turns out the problem was an incorrectly wound cable when I put the thing back together. Problem solved now.

The other drama I have is that another window regular actually has a stretched cable - does anyone know if a replacement cable is available or do I need to replace the whole regulator?