Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Windows

Tony2

Reaction score
Has anyone successfuly converted a vehicle that came out with manual windows to electric windows? Swapping the mechanical parts should be quite straight forward ie find someone who is wrecking a vr-vs with power windors and buy the regulators. The electrical conversion is more involved as I dont think my VS S pak has the wiring loom for power window in it

Tony

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Yes I have done it to my vr but I used a vn/p separate control module instead of installing a new bcm.Mechanisms are straight forward to install but the switches can be exy and there is a fair bit of wiring to put in .Mechanisms were about 120 each for fronts 60+ for rears switches are 30 each for rear doors and the main switch set up is upwards of 100 for it and the wiring which is pretty extensive prices vary from places to place.Privately is the way to go if you can get it all from one place.
The only bit that was already installed from original was the wires from the front door motors to the connector near the kick panel but thats a vr not sure about a vs

Tony2

Reaction score
I guess I should go and look at a service manual to figure out what wiring is involved. I was under the understanding that the BCM did the control of the windows and cut the power to the motors when they were fully up or down by sensing the increase in current. If my BCM isnt one set up for power windows then I would have to change this too. I dont want to do that since I would then have to get the key re-coded and it gets messy. If other models have a seperate control unit then that might be a way to go. I dont know if it would be an option to make my own control with a couple of rocker switches and and some relays. This would rely on the operator letting go of the switch when it got all the way up or down otherwise it could burn out the motor or strain the mechanisms.
Is there any experts who have any advice?

Tony

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I found a bloke wrecking a vq statesman and got out of it the separate windows module the wiring loom and one front door motor and grafted the wiring and module into my vr ...that only cost me about 80 ....its the bits and pieces that add up to finish the job ....but it was a learning curve and works as good as gold.
Alot of vs bcm had the functions in them even if they were not used it all depends on the part number and give that to a parts bloke and he should be able to tell you if it has the windows function

Tony2

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the power is cut to the motors when the window is fully up or down? Does the motor just keep driving until it cant go anymore? I would have thought there would need to be a safety cutout incase you got your head or somthing stuck in the window.

Tony

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
i don't think so it just stops and wont go any further ....there is a circuit breaker feeding the main power to it in case of kids or idiots keeping their finger on the button when it is at the top or bottom so it doesn't damage anything..not sure what would happen to your head if you got it in the way.