Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

powerchain issue sv6

Dave and Shell

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz sv6 , 05 vz ss , vx berlina
i have just brought a 2004 vz sv6 manual, it has powertrain issue flashing on screen, took to machanic who said it was a timing chain, spent $2400 getting timing chain done, now it still has the issue machanic said its now reading cam correlation it sat at his workshop for 6 weeks and hes not sure when how and if he can fix it, so i went and got it brought it home and honestly dont know what to do. i have since found out it had an engine change by previous owner, they have put the 190 sv6 auto motor in and its a manual. i really want to try fix this myself no more bloody machanics, i did the spark plugs and coil packs last night, message came back after 2nd start, any suggestions on what to try next? anyone ever cured this issue. could it be sensors or ecu???

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
first things first, get the codes read with a decent scan tool.

Dave and Shell

Reaction score
Members Ride
first things first, get the codes read with a decent scan tool.
Thanks just went and brought my own code reader and got po341 camshaft position sensor A circuit range performance bank 1 or single sensor

Attachments

• 61AB8098-5815-430C-9A77-C6EEAB3439B7.jpeg
    61AB8098-5815-430C-9A77-C6EEAB3439B7.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 105

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
In all honesty, you paid the mechanic to fix a timing chain issue. It now has a timing issue being read by the ECU. It's all part of the job that he did. The engine change the previous owner did is pretty moot in this discussion as far as getting your car fixed.

At 6 weeks sitting in his workshop i would have been starting to talk getting in touch with the VACC and the ACCC as you've paid him for work which hasnt been carried out properly.

Did you atleast get your money back for the job he did?

You should be able to swap sensors side to side and then retest/drive it. If the fault jumps bank you know you've got a sensor issue. If it keeps reading the same side i'd be nailing the guys balls the the wall even harder than what they deserve to be.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's not the software issue is it that the VE's often get?

Dave and Shell

Reaction score
Members Ride
In all honesty, you paid the mechanic to fix a timing chain issue. It now has a timing issue being read by the ECU. It's all part of the job that he did. The engine change the previous owner did is pretty moot in this discussion as far as getting your car fixed.

At 6 weeks sitting in his workshop i would have been starting to talk getting in touch with the VACC and the ACCC as you've paid him for work which hasnt been carried out properly.

Did you atleast get your money back for the job he did?

You should be able to swap sensors side to side and then retest/drive it. If the fault jumps bank you know you've got a sensor issue. If it keeps reading the same side i'd be nailing the guys balls the the wall even harder than what they deserve to be.

Thanks I will try the swapping of sensors over in the morning, I’m more than pissed with this machanic, in the end he wouldn’t answer my calls, I would go over there and he was never there, so this one day I park across the road in someone else’s car and waited til I saw him so I could get my keys and car back. I paid by credit card so if I can prove he is at fault I can go to my bank and get them to return the money I have an insurance on my credit card for stuff like this.