Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Powersteering oil leak

triple b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hey guys, I recently started to get an oil leak. Had a look and turns out its the powersteering oil.

It is leaking out of the boot on the drivers side, its leaking a reasonable amount (2 drops the size of 20c coins in about 10-15mins). In the mean time im keeping an eye on the powersteering oil level so it doesnt run dry and break some more stuff.

Roughly what prices am I looking at to get this fixed?

If it helps the car has 196,000 on it and its a VS V6 executive

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It's about $300 for a reco rack plus installation and a wheel alignment and you're at least a day without the car. I've had 3 cars with PS rack leaks, all had the leak stopped or reduced to a negligible amount by adding some 'power steering stop leak'....last brand I used was Nulon and it cost $15. I'd try that first - give it about 2 weeks to take effect.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
apparently pedders make brand new racks using TRW's (the OE manufacturers) old gear. they're worth roughly $400 so a pedders guy told me

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
My rack was leaking like a sieve.
A cap full of brake fluid added to the power steering bottle when topped up fixed it the same day.
Amazing!
Not sure how long it will last before it starts leaking again, but it can't do any harm until you get around to replacing the steering rack.

triple b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
My rack was leaking like a sieve.
A cap full of brake fluid added to the power steering bottle when topped up fixed it the same day.
Amazing!
Not sure how long it will last before it starts leaking again, but it can't do any harm until you get around to replacing the steering rack.

Has anybody else heard about doing this?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It's an old trick - also used in auto transmissions to swell the seals and stop leaks - for $15 I'd prefer to use a product with a name although you get no guarantee with either. I suppose it gets back to how long you expect to keep the car - under a year try the brake fluid or stop leak....if keeping long term then look at a reco rack although the stop leak stuff can last quite a time and gives you breathing space.

triple b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
yeah looking at keeping her for another 2years minimum, guess i will go and buy some stop leak to get me through until i get some more money coming in