Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NT] Powersteering working, then not woring

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S Pac...(S for sexy)
Hi guys, i have a 90 VN and a while ago I did some donuts and it spat out all the oil in the pump, fast forward a few weeks and i changed the resivor and filled it ll up again and the power steering was patchy, mainly came o 3/4 of the way through a round about. So i changed the oil in it and it worked pretty good for a day then went patchy again.
Now it will only work in the morning, or when the car has been sitting all day, and i can start the car and leave running for 5 minutes and it will only work while i go to full lock as i back out of the driveway, then its back to the old-fashioned Armstrong steering with a tiny steering wheel and good sized mags... and the second failed intermediate shaft, i can also start the car and back strait out of the drive and the power steering will only work that tiny amount
But if i don't go full lock i can have some power assist when i turn at the end of the street

Whats going wrong? and what do i need to do?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Lets see, you ran the pump dry, probably created a whole lot of wear and tear which has probably now put fine metal particles right through the whole steering system.

Most likely the pump is fucked and will either need replacement or be completely overhauled, the steering rack is probably full of contamination and the valving that controls the power assist may be damaged.

Unfortunately most likely everything needs to come out and be cleaned of contamination and the fixed or replaced. Make sure the power steering lines are flushed and cleaned too or you may just contaminate any new parts you fit.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hi guys, i have a 90 VN and a while ago I did some donuts and it spat out all the oil in the pump, fast forward a few weeks and i changed the reservoir and filled it ll up again and the power steering was patchy, mainly came o 3/4 of the way through a round about. So i changed the oil in it and it worked pretty good for a day then went patchy again.
Whats going wrong? and what do i need to do?

1. Carefully remove failed operator from driver’s seat and permanently place on child booster seat in left rear passenger seat. Firmly strap in and torque to 10 nm +/- 2.5 nm. Place part number 20799 in mouth and leave in place until whining noise develops.
Part number 20799..........https://www.babybunting.com.au/avent-soother-6-18m-translucent-2pk.html

2. Using a professional mechanic, replace power steering pump and check operation of power steering system. If fault remains go to 3.

3. As necessary replace power steering rack.

Reaction score
Members Ride

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Like Duece said try a flush before you start driving it again. Shake the old oil up in the collection bottle and pour it in a pan. Let it settle for 30 mins and pour it off while trying to keep the bottom gear where it is. Use the sun and look for metal flakes glistening in the last 3 or 4mm of oil.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just going to hijack this thread...

So my VN now wont run, i filled up at a servo and after that ran pretty crap, but only when hot
Filled up eariler today did 5 mins of driving, parked changed battrey with another car, tried to start but it would only nearly catch, sometimes it would run itself, but only on a couple cylinders but eventually die, after that it is giving no signs of life
there appears to be no spark, and the crank angle sensor is loose in its cradle... like really loose, RACQ said that it has probably worn through the sensor

Sensor? Coil Packs?
It has MSD coils BTW

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not to state the obvious but the loose sensor is probably your best bet...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
And you set the air gap correctly between the sensor and the blades on the back of the balancer?