Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pre-Purchase Inspection - Sydney.

4XRD-VZ Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
EK Civic/AE111 Levin
Hey guys,

I would like to know of any recommended pre-purchase inspection workshops/individuals in Sydney. I am in the market for a HSV VZ R8 (auto). I have seen a few private sales and some seem to be too good to be true. I understand the market might be a little slow, but what about this : 2005 Holden Special Vehicles Clubsport Z Series R8

I will make rounds to some dealers as well. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
I have used Stateroads a few times and found them to be very good and trustworthy.

Independent Vehicle Inspections - Used Car Checks| State Roads

About $280 from memory. You get photos and a full report emailed to you straight after the inspection, and you can request for extra things to be checked if there are known issues. The mechanic will also call you straight after and give you verbal feedback as to whether it's worth buying.

Just note: I recommended them to my cousin who used them for a 2009 Patrol he saw going very cheap. The ######## mechanic he got mentioned to the owner that he was selling it dirt cheap, and in turn the owner hiked the price up a little when negotiating the price with my cousin afterwards. My cousin was understandably furious as the owner mentioned that the mechanic made him aware that he may have under priced it initially. Despite this hiccup I had no such problems, but probably worth advising them when you book, that you don't want the mechanic opening his mouth to the seller. After all, he is hired to protect your best interests, not the seller. Like I said, I used them 3 times without incident and the car I settled on has had no drama's till know (touch wood).

4XRD-VZ Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
EK Civic/AE111 Levin
Thanks heaps mate. Stateroads is the winning contender for me so far (viewing on other motoring forums, etc).

I appreciate the side note regarding the mechanic > is there any way for me to go with him when he does the inspection? Maybe I can have that arrange without any issues.

Any thoughts regarding the car in the link?

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
No probs mate.

The car seems legit to me. You can check that it's an authentic HSV by entering the VIN at this site:

HSV Gen-F / Authenticate your HSV

For $3.70 (I think) you can also check to see if it's ever been written off, stolen, finance etc at this link:

Personal Property Securities Register

Just hit the do it now link under car search and enter the VIN, the rest is self explanatory.

Just a thought mate, are you completely sold on an older HSV? Don't get me wrong, I also am a big fan, but given the hefty price tag, have you considered a VE Calais V or SSV? If you're patient and search regularly, you'll probably come across one cheaper then the asking price for the HSV and with low kms too. Newer car, and will get the same power with a few mods.

I bought a VE Calais V back in March with 37,000kms, one elderly owner for $20K, but I patiently shopped around for about 6-7 months. Definitely can't beat the appeal of a HSV but the price seems a little much to me. Then again, I'm no expert.

Good luck, and I hope I've helped in some way.

Sorry mate, forgot to answer your original question. Wouldn't see a problem with you being there during the inspection as long as the seller agrees to it.

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Just had a quick look mate, and an example of what I'm talking about:

2006 Holden Special Vehicles Clubsport E Series R8 Sports Automatic

I know it has more kms and slightly more expensive but like I said, newer car, newer technology. With the VF range now out, I think you'll find that patience will truly be a virtue in this regard. I think as a little time goes by you'll see more and more bargains as current VE owners look to avoid low trade-in prices and sell their beloved cars at a fraction of the price/value privately so they can get max returns to upgrade to the VF range.

Ultimately your decision, just thought I'd offer some advice from a different point of view.

4XRD-VZ Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
EK Civic/AE111 Levin
Thanks for all your help mate.

Yes, I was planning to do all the necessary online checks, but looking at other R8's, they all are asking similar price but with more K's. This one looks too good to be true, hence my skepticism.

To be honest, this car will be our family (of 3) + my Mum's daily. Initially I set out looking for a VE SV6 in Chlorophyll. I spent atleast 2 months and found a couple - but dealers were asking too much and it just didnt feel right spending that much (29k, done 20,000Kms).

So, I started to broaden my options and after selling my Skyline, I thought going V8 wasnt a bad idea. I have seen a few E1's, SSV's, and R8's.

Requirements:
Price : 30k under
Kms : low as possible.
Trans : Auto (for mum)
Body : Sedan
Power : V6 (only if its a S2 VE SV6/Z-series Demo) or else 8 banger.

Sorry for long post, but I am very fussy and I hope my search will result in a great car. And I really don mind waiting for it :)

P.S - I plan to buy a R34 GTR soon, so it should be fun having the V8 to play with. hehe.

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Definitely go the V8. I too was tossing up between a 6 and 8, and very glad I went the 8 in the end.

Good luck, and let us know what you settle on.

4XRD-VZ Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
EK Civic/AE111 Levin
And I totally agree with you regarding going VE over VZ (newer car, more tech, more win). However, to me the VZ is just a prettier, more subtle looking car then a VE. Having owned a VZ (and driven a few VZ's and VE's).

That's the reason why I was after a VZ with really low K's as possible. :)