Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preferred fuel for 6.2 L LS3

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon
I picked up the same car on Wednesday this week. You are going to love it.
My toys are always fed on a diet of 98. I usually go BP mainly because its just down the road.

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Is anyone running United E10? It's supposed to be 95 RON. My VF SS got the best mileage using that fuel. With a 20+ cent a litre price difference I found 98 premium a waste of money and the fuel consumption was about the same as the United E10. I've only done 1,500 km in my MY17 Redline so not enough ks to really tell whether the United E10 is better than 98 RON.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
I use my car for work. If I have a busy week and intend to use a whole tank I just use E10 94, since I'm just putting it around (I even turn the Bi-Modal off when working).
If I see myself getting the time to take it for a decent hit I'll fill it with 98.
I used to only use BP98 but I think it's changed in the last year or so, I now can't feel any difference to the Vortex 98. In my area the Caltex has much higher turnover than the BP.

I'm using an app called Gas Manager on iPhone. I can't see any noticeable difference in economy between 94 and 98, but my driving varies, sometimes I would have 80kg or more in the boot, and some tanks I'm putting the boot in, urban driving with some bumper to bumper and the odd trip down Mona Vale road gets me 15.9 on average.

Last edited:

Phawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SSV Redline
I try and always run BP 98 as well.

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
The 6.0 litre manual used to get low 10s. 90% of my driving is freeway. Trip to Adelaide saw 9.1. I am currently on 12 for the 6.2 manual. Over the last 500km it is 11.3. Am hoping once it's run in to get around 10.5 on E10.

NN334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0lt
Stick with BP Ultimate 98.

Its cracked at a very high RON and is able to maintain a high value over longer periods than other 98 fuels. Its always good to buy freshly delivered fuel so check with your station when they get it delivered.

Ethanol fuels have hygroscopic properties and the problem is not necessarily the combustion chamber efficiency, but the moisture content due to such in the fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors and associated components. These problems are greatly exacerbated with direct injection.
Premature failure and wear will lead to expensive repair bills long term.

Fairly easy decision to buy the more expensive better value fuel from BP

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Stick with BP Ultimate 98.

Its cracked at a very high RON and is able to maintain a high value over longer periods than other 98 fuels. Its always good to buy freshly delivered fuel so check with your station when they get it delivered.

Ethanol fuels have hygroscopic properties and the problem is not necessarily the combustion chamber efficiency, but the moisture content due to such in the fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors and associated components. These problems are greatly exacerbated with direct injection.
Premature failure and wear will lead to expensive repair bills long term.

Fairly easy decision to buy the more expensive better value fuel from BP
Ethanol in any fraction 0-100% doesn't seem to present a problem. Is that premature failure warning from your own experience?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I only run my cars on BP Ultimate 98.

NN334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0lt
Involved in the automotive industry and engine performance and other industries on a consultancy basis with technical requirements.

And have seen much corosion in relation to modern fuels