Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preferred fuel for 6.2 L LS3

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Involved in the automotive industry and engine performance and other industries on a consultancy basis with technical requirements.

And have seen much corosion in relation to modern fuels
So, that's a no. Thought so, thanks for your technical consultation on this matter nevertheless!

NN334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0lt
I have seen it but not on my vehicles, as I won't run a cheaper grade fuel with an elevated Octane.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
I use Caltex or BP 95 and never use 91 or E10

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I have seen it but not on my vehicles, as I won't run a cheaper grade fuel with an elevated Octane.
Ah right, crappy regular (low level) refined sulphurous gummy gasoline sludge propped up and made good with a shot of ethanol. Makes sense it's the shitty petrol not the ethanol that causes premature failure. Take United e10 as a clean, performance fuel example that competes favourably in our car by meeting the engine octane requirement, value for money, and brings additional benefits of ethanol.
Even higher ethanol fraction fuel helps to prolong component life in our car generally, decoking the engine and promoting thermal efficiency under typical to high load. Perhaps because our Aussie cars are made for it but our Zeta injectors and pumps have clearly proven to last longer than with petrol in mass sample long-term testing, possibly due to reduced operating temps vs the spectre of oxidation and scoring from hydrous flow and storage.
The one notable caveat being aftermarket high carbon (mild steel) exhaust systems which oxidise prematurely and spectacularly. However in this niche V8 performance sector two years between switching catbacks is almost acceptable, else shell out for stainless.

Last edited:

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
BP Ultimate 98 for me also or Mobil 98 if I can't get BP.

Webby_SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SSVR Sportwagon - Heron White
In both cars I have I run BP 98 (or Caltex 98 if I can't find BP).

I have a MINI Cooper S (turbo model) that I ran Shell 98 on initially. It did a high pressure fuel pump - apparently Shell 98 is so full of additives that it messed up the HPFP. BP 98 also makes the MINI pop/crackle on overrun much more too! :)

So for the SS, it's only had BP 98 (not sure what fuel dealer used for the first tank).

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
I don't understand anyone that buys a near $60k car and feeds it cheap **** fuel.
Only way I could afford my SS was with a car allowance from employer.
Employer gives me fuel card, as a privledge not a right, and can take it away at any time.
Boss hates V8s, thinks diesels are best.
Happy to put E10 in my (almost) free car to 'fly under the radar" and continue to get free fuel.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Yep - it's refreshing to read this - I wouldn't use ethanol additive fuels in my cars due to ethanol strongly bonding with water (causing an obvious corrosion problem). You simply can't split the two completely. I recall this from my chemical and materials engineering degree studying alcohol production and followed by many years in Engineering roles since then.

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Have now heard some bad stories about Caltex 98. Stories of pinging, blown motors and head gasket issues. of mine just did Targa Tasmania and it seems BP Ultimate is the way to go.

As for my car, it's running quite nicely on United E10. Down to 10.6 l/100km. It's 20 cents per litre cheaper than 98.