Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preffered engine oil?

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
ay everyone, going to do an oil change this weekend, ive tried many oils so far castrol magnatec (10 W40) works best in the vr. what do you use and what viscosity works best

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
I usually use Penrite HPR, Helix Shell or Castrol GTX. They all seem to work good enough for me. Depends what's on special at the time. Magnatec is too thin for a 3.8L.

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
i'm about to do a oil change myself this weekend to and i'm going to try nulon 100% synthetic 15w-50

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
seems to work fine for me, i start the car at 5 every morning and the thermometer reads -1 so its got a good starting viscosity

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Nobody said the car wouldn't start. You could put canola oil in the sump and that would run ok for a while and like the magnatec, it would probably burn it up too.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Mobile fully synthetic 5 - 50

Havnt had any probs and runs like gold

I also had a look through the oil cap with a torch and it there wasnt any black yuk at all so its keeping it clean too

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
Original specification was ILSAC GF3 which is 10W-30, but also recommended "if unavailable use 20W-50". (wtf...)

In other words (I think) a really good thinner oil or everyday thicker oil... bit weird really I don't fully understand the purpose. Given the age of these engines now anything -50 rated would be fine...

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
15w60 myself. Penrite HPR15. Best damn stuff I ever used.

Mystro1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
i'm about to do a oil change myself this weekend to and i'm going to try nulon 100% synthetic 15w-50

This stuff runs well in both my VS and my MX5, good price to. This oilchange i had done by a mechanic though and he used a penrite 15-60, we'll see how that goes... (seems to be ok so far)