Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Premium 98 vs 91i

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Found out tonight that 98 fuel is not the same fuel as 91 with an additive. I was talking to the tanker driver tonight and he said 98 is the most pure petrol Ampol sell to the public. I tried to find the thread where there was mention that 98 just gets an additive dumped in when the tanks are filled. He said no it's a different fuel that is more refined. He also said that premium diesel does have an additive squirted in as the fuel is pumped into the tanks. So that could be where the confusion lied.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Found out tonight that 98 fuel is not the same fuel as 91 with an additive. I was talking to the tanker driver tonight and he said 98 is the most pure petrol Ampol sell to the public. I tried to find the thread where there was mention that 98 just gets an additive dumped in when the tanks are filled. He said no it's a different fuel that is more refined. He also said that premium diesel does have an additive squirted in as the fuel is pumped into the tanks. So that could be where the confusion lied.
I think you are quoting me with this one. But a little out of context.

I believe it was more of 2 different retailers are selling 98ron, but have different additive packages as part of their 'brew' although it all arrived in the country on the same ship.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you are quoting me with this one. But a little out of context.

I believe it was more of 2 different retailers are selling 98ron, but have different additive packages as part of their 'brew' although it all arrived in the country on the same ship.
Possibly not sure.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought it was said earlier that 98 and 91 comes from same batch and the driver dumps in some chemical to make it 98 and that the only difference was this chemical. However, according to the Bonney Energy driver he said no it's definitely different petrol.

There is a difference in Ampol prem diesel as it has the additive, which gets fed in as the fuel is dumped into the tanks but the fuel itself is the same bar this.

I also thought I read a while back that the tanker driver dumps in a measured amount of additive once the tanks have been filled. However, this is not the case either and the additive gets squirted into the diesel as it's fed.

Whereas premium 98 goes into the tanks exactly as it comes out of the tanker.