Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Premium fuel tuning

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I've got a Ecotec VT which I've been running on premium ever since I got it although I really don't know if its doing me anything good (I once drove a car with a leaded engine, which really did benefit from using premium, a LOT more power and 50-100kms more off a tank compared with regular, however leaded was higher octane than regular, so it was somewhat designed for it)

Anyway onto my question:

1. Can I tune my engine to actually extract some real benefit by using PULP?
2. If so how, and how much will it cost me?

I feel as if a lot of people are going to say "get a performance chip" but I don't really want the car to go much faster, just further (I'll take faster too as long as it doesn't chew any more fuel)

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
You don't really need to tune your engine because your computer will automatically do it for you.Stock engines won't benefit in extra power because you need higher compression.However you will benefit in slightly extra mileage and the fuel will actually keep your injectors clean.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
The computer wont completely do it all for you... if it did you wouldnt take your car in for a 'service and tune' all the time.

Cars can be tuned for higher octane petrol and the timing can be advanced further if you are running 98 octane. Speak to a place that does dyno tunes etc. about it and tell them what you want is economy and go from there...

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
@satos: My understanding was the computer will advance the timing slightly, but only a few degrees, not enough to get full benefit from the fuel. I believe you are right about the compression part, which makes me think I'd need to start messing with pistons and cams to get what I want :(

@vn2nv: Anywhere in NSW you know of and would recommend?