Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Premium or Normal Unleaded

sheepz

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SV6 manual
When all you guys say "runs better" define it more, power... economy... or whatever you think runs better means. My friend runs his sv6 on that E10 stuff from Shell, I run mine on RON 91 from United my other mate who has an sv6 just mix and matches (or so he says) and everyone seems say it runs fine, we need definitions really.... and it dosent help when Holden dealers say the engine has being designed to run on E10 fine..

lets see some reasons, along with the fuel type to make more sense of things.

If i could be bother getting my logbook i could give the details on my sv6 running on 91 95 and 98. I get a lot more km's out of 98, i think i got around 480 or 500 km with 91 about 530 - 540 with 95 and 590 ish with 98. Now i got a airhammer CAI and last tank i got 660km. So really you have to take your on notes on how your car performs. I mean it's only a extra 5 or so bucks for 98.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
If i could be bother getting my logbook i could give the details on my sv6 running on 91 95 and 98. I get a lot more km's out of 98, i think i got around 480 or 500 km with 91 about 530 - 540 with 95 and 590 ish with 98. Now i got a airhammer CAI and last tank i got 660km. So really you have to take your on notes on how your car performs. I mean it's only a extra 5 or so bucks for 98.

what the hell? On my calais I get anything from 550-630km from full to just as the dash warns low fuel. One time I managed to get over 650km before even getting the very low fuel warning computer reports at the end of the week when im near low avg 10.7l/100km

I use that E10 stuff from Shell? When i'm driving it thinks it can do around 900km at full and sits around 850 at 1st marker, by half way it tells me ~400km range but when at low warning it says 150km+ remaining (last i can remember before it warns).

Attachments

• 04022010086_small.jpg
    04022010086_small.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 466

Matty-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV S2
I only run Shell V-Power 98 in my SS... The only real noticeable change is more k's and the more the better especially in an 8 lol...

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
the alloytec does have a high and low knock range table so even stock it can make use of higher octane fuel. ie better power.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
what the hell? On my calais I get anything from 550-630km from full to just as the dash warns low fuel. One time I managed to get over 650km before even getting the very low fuel warning computer reports at the end of the week when im near low avg 10.7l/100km

I use that E10 stuff from Shell? When i'm driving it thinks it can do around 900km at full and sits around 850 at 1st marker, by half way it tells me ~400km range but when at low warning it says 150km+ remaining (last i can remember before it warns).

I get over 1200km out of my tank if its pure hwy km on 95.

Different around town, no point in comparing when people dont drive the same, let alone on the same roads.

98 gives my car more power ive noticed, some big hills hear gisborne, where I used to have to change down from 6th to 5th gear, she stays in 6th all the way. Not sure if im getting better fuel economy, but ive definetly more km's.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Look in the owners manual, if it says "95 or higher RON fuel may give better performance", then it's worth it. If it says "91 or higher", then more likely than not it's all in your head.

You only have to examine the marketing material from say BP to see how little it's going to matter. They claim "up to 48km more per tank using BP Ultimate", and you can bet your left nut that will have been the biggest tank they could find, in the most ideal conditions they could think of, in a car which actually is tuned for premium (and the baseline was quite possibly E10). So if the best-case scenario the marketeers could think of is 48km per tank, people might be wise to rethink their own claims about how much more efficient it is.

I don't doubt anyone who says "I got XYZkms on premium compared to ABCkms on regular", but I do rather doubt it was the fuel that did it. The driving conditions and the drivers attitude have a much greater effect than the octane rating ever will.

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
I fill up with BP Ultimate. Feels alot better with that stuff...it's alot better than the Shell unleaded stuff.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Alright, fine since everyone keeps saying this BP Ultimate stuff is awesome on my ned refuel I'll try it. I drive same route (normally same conditions) to and from work mon-fri I'll be able to tell if theres more economy in it and if there is anything noticeably interesting :p

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Alright, fine since everyone keeps saying this BP Ultimate stuff is awesome on my ned refuel I'll try it. I drive same route (normally same conditions) to and from work mon-fri I'll be able to tell if theres more economy in it and if there is anything noticeably interesting :p

nice, let me know how it goes.