Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Premium or regular unleaded?

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
ay all, i was told the other day that using premium regularly in my vr can blow head gaskets and or cause head problems? iv heard nothing of it and my cars seems fine. wat do you run and have you had or known of any problems?

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
ive been running prem for last 7 yrs with no probs what so ever

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
At worst it's a waste of money if your car doesn't need the higher octane rating, it won't blow your gaskets or damage anything.

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
he said that the heads on the vrs etc. were not designed to stand the extra heat and spark or some crap! cheers anyway. btw you can feel the difference as to regualr pump straight away!

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Has anyone done dyno runs with premium vs regular? I can't be stuffed paying the extra for premium unless i see some good figures.

Actually witnessed some tests between Standard Unleaded and BP Ultimate when i was at the Clipsal 500 Adelaide in two identical Ford V8's and the figures did give the more expensive premium fuel quite an edge along with a cleaner burn rate and better economy. I am still not totally convinced unless i was running a V8, Turbo or Supercharged engine.

Matt.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
I notice a difference on the premium and it's not my imagination lol. Normally get 95 sometimes 98.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
I notice a difference on the premium and it's not my imagination lol. Normally get 95 sometimes 98.

Can you go a bit further and explain what type of difference? Power, Economy, Burn?

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Can you go a bit further and explain what type of difference? Power, Economy, Burn?

All three bud. That's what it's designed to achieve.