Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

pressurings cooling system

Discussion in 'General' started by VL Berlina 5speed, Mar 8, 2009.

1. VL Berlina 5speed

VL Berlina 5speed Apprentice Panel Pusher

Members Ride:
    Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
    this is a question not based on a commodore, its the tata ute

the radiator seems to be presurising and blowing air into the overflow bottle
    the coolant is droping in the radiator but the it isnt droping in the overflow

now only way i can think to get pressure in the coolant system is a cracked head (blowing engine compresion in)
    but the oil cap isnt milky or the exhaust isnt shooting steam

any ideas?
    its turbo diesil

2. commsirac

commsirac Banned

Members Ride:
    vx
    How do you know its just blowing air into the overflow?
    What happens when the coolant is filled to the top of the radiator, does it push coolant into the overflow in this condition.

Most often, the radiator level can drop due to the connections between the coolant reservior and the radiator having a leak. The expulsion of coolant typically takes place quite quickly and violently, so even if there are weak points in the connection most of the overflow ends up in the coolant reservior. The opposite isnt the case when the system draws coolant back from the overflow when cooling down. The difference in pressure is only slight and air can easily seep in rather than coolant being forced into the radiator by atmospheric pressure.

3. VL Berlina 5speed

Members Ride:
    the over flow pipe isnt blowing water out as there is no brown water mud on the end of the new pipe

when you stop and turn the engine off you can hear it bubbling away really fast for a minute into the overflow

before a drive this morning the radiator was full to the top, over flow was on max,
    now its down a inch and half and still on max for overflow

no temp guage as it doesnt work and the system was flushed and filled a month ago as we thought it was blocked

4. VrWagz1

VrWagz1 The Wagon on Wheels..

Members Ride:
    VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
    could be a small leak somwhere, had a similar issue a while back, was a old clamp on the bottom hose, was just weeping and dropping pressure out of the system, there for not sucking water back in as the car cooled.
    Is the hose going to the overflow bottle in good condition and not crimped.

5. VL Berlina 5speed

Members Ride:
    cant find any leaks and the pipe running from over flow to the radiator is fine, no crimps kinks or splits

6. Deltak

Deltak Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    For what it's worth,
    it appears that you are getting air from the combustion chamber leaking ito the cooling water.
    Either the head gasket has failed - most likely,or a crack or possibly a porous pin hole leak in the head.

Either way, It off with the head!

A simple test is to fill the radiator, block the overflow and, with the engine running (cold), place your palm across the radiator cap opening. If there is gasses escaping, you will feel the build-up of pressure very quickly.

Deltak

7. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    When the engine is switched off the temperature of the coolant actually increases and it expands flowing into the overflow. It sounds like one of two things, either there is an air lock in the system or the radiator cap is buggered. Does the Tata have a bleed nipple on the front of the head or on the thermostat housing somewhere? Is the radiator fill spout higher or lower than the top of the head? (not the rocker cover). You will have to bleed the system thoroughly to remove all air is it has an air lock.

8. HARVZ-6

HARVZ-6 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT spac super6
    try a new cap maybe

9. commsirac

commsirac Banned

Members Ride:
    vx
    So really you have narrowed it down to that the coolant isnt getting pushed back in. Do the hoses look like they have collapsed at all when the system has cooled down, if they have this would indicate the system is airtight and just a problem with the renetry valve on the radiator cap. On the bottom of the cap is a small disk that you should be able to pull away with your fingers, it is this action that allows coolant to be forced back in, perhaps try another cap.

Or if the system hoses dont look like they have collapsed, the system is not airtight, this could include the coolant recovery hose. Get the system pressure tested when the motor is cold, or even go around with the screwdriver and tighten up all the hoses when it is cold.

10. VL Berlina 5speed

Members Ride:
    this is what we have come down to think, either small leak and compresion is pumping
    but no cream under cap, no mist what so ever out of the exhaust

ill try what you have recokmended in a sec :thumbsup:

ive looked over all the system but cant find a bleed nipple
    radiator is deff higher then the head/ rocker cover or any manifold

so in it should allow most air locks into the radiator

we have purchesed a new radiator cap which is suited to a tata utes radiator and it still is alowing air out, the coolant is not entering the overflow bottle its just air

so as Deltak said its leaning towards the head
    personally i think the head has a leak in the head, the compression is blowing into the coolant system and blowing throught the overflow

the coolant disappering is getting sucked into the cylinder and then pushed throught the turbo where its vaporised,
    hence why we cant find the missing coolant

11. VL Berlina 5speed

Members Ride:
    did deltaks test and instant presure

put some chem i weld yesterday and its not bubbling asmuch, so think ill chuck another bottle in
    nothing to loose now, next place is a wreakers

12. Russell Hare

Russell Hare New Member

Members Ride:
    vz v6
    I found these interesting Youtube clips which I wish I had found years ago when I had owned VN, VR, and VS vehicles. Each Commodore experienced water pressure problems and air in coolant problems that I couldn't solve at the time. The Dex Coolant itself could have been the cause, so check out the two Youtube clips. Looking back, I used Dex coolants and after watching the two Youtube clips a lot of the symptons now make sense. It is interesting that my family currently has two 2006 Commodores that are both losing water somewhere. One has been fixed ($2000 later including a new radiator) and the second is still getting sent back to the mechanic for water loss and air in the coolant.

13. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    Might sound silly, but recently I had a new Rad and Water pump put into my ute and a similar thing was happening.
    Would hold pressure fine, but water was dropping in the radiator. Would fill it up a few hundred (maybe 200) ml a week.
    Noticed overflow getting a bit higher at the same time.

New Radiator cap solved the issue, just wasn't feeding back into the rad.

Possibly that could be happening in yours, but because the overflow is on max its then dumping it on the ground as you drive and wont go above that max line.
    just an idea for you.