Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Price for reconditioned T5 and head fix

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I was just wondering if anyone woud know what sort of price I would be looking at for a reconditioned T5 for a VS and to get the engine head fixed.

The gearbox works but is very noisy, and I think I have a cracked head? Symptoms are: radiator using coolant, stalls on cold start, when driving it sort of missfires or something and jolts the whole car as if I have jumped on and off the brakes quickly (only some drives though?? Some worse than others too), and lots of steam out the exhaust but not sure if that still happens when the engine's hot because I havent had a good chance to tell yet.

Not sure if you guys could diagnose my problem but if you can it would be great. The car has done 250000ks and im pretty sure they were hard ks by the mechanical condition of the poor thing :s haha

Thanks.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
sounds more like a blown head or valley gasket to me.
as for your gearbox, have you checked the oil level in it? even manuals need a service every now and then.

V6 or V8? V6 boxes are a fair bit cheaper than V8

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Unfortunatly the g/box is gonna cost u a small fortune as they are a bit harder to come by, its not like the auto's where they are a dime a dozen.
The heads however are a dime a dozen and a second hand head can be gottten realitivly cheap. You wil possibly find the gasket kit will cost you more then the head.

VK_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V6
Just rebuild the box you have, kits are cheap (sounds like it may need bearings too), there's no reason it should be irreparable.
T5 Transmissions

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Looks like a fun job, Dosnt look to be tom much in it though. Just looks like it would take a bit of time and patience

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Thanks guys. Its a V6 by the way. Thanks heaps for that link. If I was to recondition it myself, what do I need? Would the master rebuild kit be all? or would I need to get other bits from the page on the link too? Thanks

VK_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V6
I would think that the (World Class) Master rebuild kit would be adequate as it includes all the bearings. If you have the time it would be best to pull your box down first just to double-check that there is no other damage before ordering the kit.

Its not too hard to do, aside from basic tools you'll need a good set of circlip pliers and access to a press to remove first gear (from memory). The kits all come with a basic exploded view diagram which helps a lot.